The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP from MACs Read Only?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nerdzoll, Nov 14, 2004.

1. nerdzoll

nerdzoll Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    I have my first client that is using a Mac computer. When he attempts to connect via FTP he is unable to make any writeable changes. He logs in and connects fine however everything is opened as read only. Using the same details on a PC, and there are no problems. I have attempted to use my login and the same thing occurs.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this. (currently it is occuring on MacOS 10.1 (i think) and happens on the mac native FTP program as well as IE).

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Stuart Ryan

[edit, I have been informed that cyberduck for the mac is working if this may help]

#1 nerdzoll, Nov 14, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  2. djmerlyn

djmerlyn Well-Known Member

Maybe your customer needs a different FTP client... Or maybe he's trying to connect to FTP from the browser and is seeing the anonymous side.

It works fine on my G4/netscape OS9 and on my old LC3 OS 2.?/Netscape (I can also add G3/IE OSX now :) )

Problem with MAC's, is that the user needs to know how to use it :)

#2 djmerlyn, Nov 14, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  3. WMS

WMS Active Member

Resolved or not?

I have exactly the same problem with 1 of my customers. I've never seen MacOS X (and never wished). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

4. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

I use a Powerbook for my primary workstation running OS X. I have no issues FTPing from the terminal or uploading with Dreamweaver. The great thing about OS X is that it is a gui running on top of BSD so at anytime I have normal console/terminals right on the desktop like a FC3 workstation. If they are uploading and everything is with wrong permissions they have something set incorrectly in their FTP client. CuteFTP is a common app and it works just like it does on the PC.

5. stellan

stellan Registered

Is this still an issue for your client?

I know that using "finder" (the built in file manager) for ftp only provides a read-only access, I would suggest your client to either use the terminal based FTP program or a graphical client such as Transmit.

/ Stellan

6. hodfords

hodfords Active Member

Any solutions? We are using Safari which then switches over to Finder - it's not a good but that's what clients are using....

Big headaches- using proftpd - tried using pureftpd - but didn't even prompt user for login and password - instead just gave an error code.

With Proftpd - can login - but cannot see anything....

7. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

Cyberduck is a good open source ftp client for OSX, should simplify the process a bit (http://cyberduck.ch/)

8. hodfords

hodfords Active Member

But the thing is, other FTP servers work fine with the MAC finder/safari solution...... so why can't proftpd work.....

It's not right to get client to use other systems when the basic finder/safari solution should work?

Any work around from a server-side perspective?