Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

FTP I just do not understand it

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by magicandmight, Apr 22, 2005.

1. magicandmight

magicandmight Registered

I have created an account on FTP Accounts I have made Anonymous active. Then I have tried to sign on through the IE Address bar using: ftp://$user@domainname.com. All it takes me to is a "windows" folder with nothing in it while both the Anonymous and the user account specified folder have something in it. What am I doing wrong? I really want this to work so that I can get my backup of my website finally... since the previous webmaster pretty much destroyed it, on purpose, I do not want a repeat. Thx

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I would just get a FTP cleint instead of fooling around with a web browser

But if you insist on using IE in your settings
    Tools> internet options>advanced
    put a check mark in "enable folder view of FTP sites"
    and then connect ftp://ftp.yourdomain.com/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

If you want to use IE as an FTP client, you will need to specify the username and password in a slightly different way.

Firstly you would probably need to specify the username as "user@example.com" instead of just "user". As each Cpanel account on a given server could set up the FTP user "bob", you would need to know how to differentiate between the bobs.

Therefore an FTP address of the form:

ftp://[user][domain]/

would then read:

ftp://user@example.com@example.com

Now, you'll notice the double @, which would cause problems for IE as it would interpret the username as being "user" and the domain as "example.com@example.com", which would get you nowhere fast.

What you would actually need to do is specify the username as user+example.com, therefore the FTP address you would enter would be:

ftp://user+example.com@example.com/

However as Dalem said, you'd be better off with a decent standalone FTP client as, in my experience, FTP through IE is flaky at best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    "Now, you'll notice the double @, which would cause problems for IE as it would interpret the username as being "user" and the domain as "example.com@example.com", which would get you nowhere fast."

if he just sets up ie to view ftp folders it will promt for usr/pass as posted above

#4 dalem, Apr 22, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  5. magicandmight

magicandmight Registered

any suggestions on a free ftp program?

Never mind I got Web drive thanks for all the replies

#5 magicandmight, Apr 22, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  6. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator