The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Issue ..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KyleK29, Jun 14, 2005.

1. KyleK29

KyleK29 Member

I've had this issue since getting Cpanel/WHM installed on our server. Maybe you guys can help. I did the knowledge base and search, but couldn't come up with anything. I figured it's probably some configuration somewhere that I need to fix.

The issue is that whenever someone goes to ftp://www.anyhostedsite.com on my server they get the default FTP, every site goes to the same exact FTP bin, not their own. If they login with an FTP program, they get their own sites FTP and can upload to it. But can't view those files by going to ftp://www.theirsite.com.

I've tried all sorts of things, including adding new FTP users, to turning on and off (and changing FTP programs) annoyomous access.

On a previous server, it worked fine, uploading to your ftp account would upload the files to be viewable via the ftp.yoursite.com (if you had access unlocked).

I'm using WHM 9.9.9 & Cpanel 9.9.9-R14 w/ Fedora i686, WHM X v3.1.0.

Ftp program is ProFTPd.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    define default FTP? whats in it

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You would have to have anonymous FTP enabled for the site and modify the location for login, which defaults to /home/user/public_ftp

4. KyleK29

KyleK29 Member

Sorry, FTP program is Pure-ftpd.

I've had anonymous FTP enabled. But not quite sure about where to modify the location.

Folders:
    Mail
    Pub

Inside Mail is a bunch of (what appears to be) backup files and a file called "Inbox". Pub is empty.

All I know is ftp.anyofmyhostedpages.com goes to that same folder (same named files, same number of files) and I can't seem to locate where that is and how to change it.

5. KyleK29

KyleK29 Member

Been awhile and I noticed (so I don't use this feature :) ) that when one goes to mail.anyhostedsites.com they are redirected to one specific hosted domain's main directory. This would lead me to further believe that this is all related to a DNS issue somewhere.

Any ideas?

Also, this maybe related. On a previous server, when you setup an account, the account was listed under List Accounts as "servername.serverdomain.com/~account" however, in this it lists it as "IP#/~account". Not sure if that was a normal operation for WHM or not.

If any server-admins that are knowledgable enough to browse around want to give it a shot. Email/PM/ me a quote for your time or post here. This is basically used for personal use as of right now.

#5 KyleK29, Aug 22, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  6. KyleK29

KyleK29 Member

On a whim tonight, I decided to do a "locate" through the shell of the files in the mail folder. Here is what I found:

going to: ftp://anydomain.com will default you to directory with a mail & pub folder. This directory is located in the /var/ftp directory of the server.

Anybody know of a way I can close that down (anonymous access is off) or force it to go to the domains public ftp folder? Perferably so that it does it automatically when I do a "Create Account" (so I don't have to manually edit every new account).

I still have the problem with mail.domain7.com (example names) pointing to www.domain1.com - If someone goes to mail.theirdomain.com on the server, it always defaults to that same site (www.domain1.com). Setting up a subdomain fixes the issue. Where/how would I edit it to so it automatically sets up a subdomain to point to the :2095 (webmail) port on their domain?

Any help is appreciated.

I have two servers, both with professional installs of cpanel. Only one is experiencing the FTP issue (both experience the mail issue not autocreating a subdomain to the :2095 port, not sure if that is just not a feature). The other one displays a "THIS IS A PRIVATE SERVER ..." message, with a Pure-FTP readout.

#6 KyleK29, Sep 25, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2005