The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Log In Help for Tech Novice!

Discussion in 'Security' started by daveaudio, Mar 20, 2012.

1. daveaudio

daveaudio Registered

Mar 20, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

I can change my root password and can continually use the new password to log into my server via FTP, but this gets me in a level higher that the public_html folder

Although, there is another recurrent password that I can continue to use and I cannot seem to change, and this also logs me in at a level higher than the public_html folder

When I look at 'FTP Accounts' within cPanel it only lists one 'FTP account' which I can change the password to, and I can log into my server via FTP with this account fine. This logs me into the correct level - in my actual website at public_html level.

I now have three passwords - one for the root log in, one for the FTP account log in, and another which I cannot access or change.

However I can still log into my server at a level higher than the public_html folder with this other password and same log in details as my FTP account, can you tell me how to either disable this method of logging in or how I can change this other password please?
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

The main FTP account that corresponds to the cPanel username and password does allow login to the /home/username (where username is your cPanel username) level. This isn't changeable for the access level it provides, since that FTP login password syncs with the cPanel login password.