The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Management

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaryT, Jul 24, 2010.

1. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

This is one thing I have not really looked up on!

See WHM I login with user and password yes ! Now FTP, Is there a way of allowing to login as root, Basicly clients ask me to do things here and there so I have to keep asking for user and password for there FTP access to make file changes, Surly there must be a way of ROOT FTP or something so I can login, Go to root ownership folder and see all the clients where I can access there files.

Doing it through accounts, login there cpanel is a pain in the but at times, Now this may be possible but my brain is not functioning well at the moment and google don't like me today lol.

Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

If you have root access you can use SSH to your server and check all the files of all the accounts. However, if you are still looking for a Ftp client, use "SSH Secure Shell Client".

It's a SSH client like Putty but once you login to SSH via this client, their is an yellow icon at the top called "New File Transfer Window". Click on it and it will open up a new window where you will have a Ftp environment and can access the whole server.

Search the text "download SSH Secure shell client" in Google and you can download the ssh client from the very first link the search providers.

Just an FYI, by default root is not allowed to Ftp to the server for security reasons. You have to allow Ftp to the root user manually, so a better way it to use the SSH client mentioned above.

#2 madaboutlinux, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  3. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Thanks for your time in posting this, It helped alot.

4. Valuehosted

Valuehosted Well-Known Member

Very interesting.. thanks for the tip!

Quick question - if you login as root - can you chown the files you upload or edit to the actual user of the site you are working on?

Kind Regards,
    Tony

5. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

You can upload/download the files under any user you want but unfortunately those will be uploaded as root and not with the ownership of the actual user you are working on. In that case, you have to SSH to the server using the users username/password.

6. Valuehosted

Yeah I was afraid of that; anyway to chown a file from within the client?

7. aapkapratik

aapkapratik Member

Yes if you logged in as root you can surely change the ownership of the files...

That's why its always advisable not to let everyone have the root access except the administrators and Authorized persons ....!!!!

So upload/download the files under any user and simply change the ownership of those files from root to the username you wish...

like if I wish to upload a file named "testfile" for user "testuser"

I'll upload file via ssh and change the ownership with following commmand :

#chown testuser.testuser testfile

#7 aapkapratik, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  8. Valuehosted

Of course not; I was just curious if it was possible to chown a file from within the ftp client of SSH Secure Shell.

I checked it out and as nice as having the ability to ftp from "within" my SSH client is, I found the ftp portion to be lacking unfortunately.

First, the ftp client did not start up from the same directory that I was inside while using the SSH client (maybe there is a setting to have it do that?) and secondly, besides upload/download and CHMOD, I did not see any ability to edit a file as in CuteFTP (which can also be used to SSH ftp into a server) for instance.

If I could get the SSH Secure Shell ftp top open up in the same directory as the SSH client is in and being able to chown files and edit them on the fly then this would have been a super SSH client and I would have seriously considered changing from putty.

If these are possible from the FTP client, I would love to hear how to set it up to do so!

Kind Regards,
    Tony

9. Valuehosted

which is just the same as doing it in a regular SSH client; it would have been nice if you could have looked at the file parameters and chown it from there just as you can chmod the file permissions from that same page; that's all I am saying. :L

Kind Regards,
    Tony