The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smithster, Aug 25, 2010.

1. smithster

smithster Member

I can't figure out what's happening. I have changed the server type in WHM from pureftpd to proftpd but it still won't let me or my clients log in. I have synchronized FTP passwords using WHM but that didn't help. I have restarted the FTP server many times but it hasn't helped.

Can anyone give me an idea of what else to look for please as I haven't a clue what's going on!! I have backups ftp'd to the server everyday so I can see that the FTP was working last night. But now it isn't :(

Regards

Paul

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Any other FTP service?

Is any other FTP service listening, such as vsftpd, which is the default that comes with Red Hat and CentOS? To find out, use the following:

Code:
    # netstat -nalp|grep :21
    This will show what is listening on port 21, the FTP port.

3. smithster

smithster Member

ey that's a useful command to have isn't it! Shows me who is connected to that port number! I just played around and tested other ports to see who is using SSH and stuff!! Very cool!

Anyway, back to the topic, I was out earlier and had received many tickets saying FTP was down. I tested it myself using just internet explorer on another machine and it wouldn't respond. I've just got home, perhaps an hour has passed and it's now working fine. So I've no idea what caused it to fail or to work again, but it's all good for now. There's only the one service listed on port 21 too.

Thanks for you help though and for a useful command lol!!

Regards

Paul

** Just come across this **

The following list of files have FAILED the md5sum comparison test. This means that the file has been changed in some way. This could be a result of an OS update or application upgrade. If the change is unexpected it should be investigated:

/usr/bin/pure-pw: FAILED open or read
    /usr/bin/pure-pwconvert: FAILED open or read
    /usr/bin/pure-statsdecode: FAILED open or read
    /usr/sbin/pureauth: FAILED open or read
    /usr/sbin/pure-authd: FAILED open or read
    /usr/sbin/pure-config.pl: FAILED open or read
    /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd: FAILED open or read
    /usr/sbin/pure-ftpwho: FAILED open or read
    /usr/sbin/pure-mrtginfo: FAILED open or read
    /usr/sbin/pure-quotacheck: FAILED open or read
    /usr/sbin/pure-uploadscript: FAILED open or read
    /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd: FAILED open or read

Could this be the cause of FTP not working earlier and why have these files failed?

Regards

Paul

#3 smithster, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    logwatch output

What you posted appears to be logwatch output. What the MD5 "failures" indicate is that the files changed in some way, not necessarily that something was broken. However, one possibility is that Pure-FTPd was updated or reinstalled, and that it did not restart correctly. This could explain the logwatch output and the FTP failure you experienced.

If you have not done so already, you may want to enable monitoring for the FTP service in Main >> Service Configuration >> Service Manager. The monitoring service, chkservd, runs the service checks every five minutes, and if a service is detected as down, it sends the server administrator an e-mail and attempts to restart the service.