The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/Permissions/Apache/SOMETHING problems?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by importune, Jun 25, 2010.

1. importune

importune Member

Ok guys, quick summery of what I've done.

I formatted my server to a blank centos, and had it configured and ready to go for cpanel. Downloaded and installed the latest, no problems. Ran easyapache to setup apache and used the basic profile with a few minor changes (ioncube, curl, curlssl, a few others). After that I went and created a few accounts from old websites off my old server, and begun trying to set them up. I setup all the accounts on a shared IP with no problems, and then connected via FTP to the first site. I uploaded a backup file in the format of tar.gz to the / ftp directory of the site. Once there, I used ssh to untar the backup and it overwrote the public_html folder and filled it with the correct files. I then went to the website and got a forbidden error. I chmodded the public_html folder and got an Internal Server Error. Then, all hell broke loose.

In an attempt to solve the problem without ever understanding it, I reinstalled apache with the same settings, switched FTP from ProFTPD to Pure-FTPD. I deleted the past restore attempt and made a blank public_html. I attempted to upload the files already untared, directly into the public_html and got a 553 error when I tried to upload or modify anything. After I got fed up with not being able to do anything, I switched it back to ProFTPD and now when I connect to any of the ftps I get a blank / directory, nothing in it.

At this point I've got no way to connect to my accounts via ftp. Any help guys? Any links to good articles I could read to point me in the right direction?

2. m4rc3

m4rc3 Active Member

From your post there seem to be a few issues going on, but they all seem related to the permissions on each cpanel account.

The apache errors seem to be related to suphp, I don't know if it's enabled or not on your server but bad permissions when using suphp usually cause this kind of issues.
    For ftp it seems to be the same, bad permissions.

The quickest solution would be to either grant access to your server to someone from the forum or pay an IT company to take a look.

3. importune

importune Member

m4rc3, you're the man. I new it had to be a simple problem, disabling suphp fixed everything at once. @_@

Thanks.

4. m4rc3

m4rc3 Active Member

hahah awesome importune xD

As a side note, I would correct the permissions rather than disabling suphp.
    Just to be on the safe side.

5. importune

importune Member

The permissions are fine now? When I make a new account everything is set correctly, and uploaded files are set fine...

6. importune

importune Member

Scratch that....i just tried making a mysql database and it keeps saying database name taken already, i think i need help. Anyone free? ^_^' xD