The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Permissions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Intergage, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Intergage

Intergage Registered

Oct 25, 2010
    Hey all,

Just wondering how can I set a few accounts up in cPanel so they have access to a certain folder on the FTP?

I need the accounts to be able to both Upload and Download.

I have tried to set it up when making the account in cPanel so that their home dir is the folder I want them to be able to upload / download but that didn't seem to work.

Any help would be great, thank you!
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to clarify, you want all these accounts to have access to the same FTP folder to upload and download, or each account would have its own FTP folder to upload and download?

If you just want each user to only have access to a set folder to upload and download, you could create an FTP user account in the cPanel on an account and then only provide the login information for that FTP user. This is done in cPanel > FTP Accounts area.

If you instead want all these users to access one FTP folder location to upload and download, then you could enable Anonymous FTP for the accounts. With anonymous FTP, they won't need to log in to upload and download in the public_ftp folder on an account. This would allow all the users access to the same download (public_ftp) and upload (public_ftp/incoming) folder without configuring multiple accounts that way. To enable this, you'd have to do the following steps:

1. WHM > FTP Server Configuration area

- Change "Allow Anonymous Logins" to Yes
    - Change "Allow Anonymous Uploads" to Yes

Click the Save button.

2. In WHM > Packages > Feature List

Ensure you have "Ftp Account Manager" and "Ftp Settings" both checked in the feature list you are using.

3. In cPanel > Anonymous FTP area

- Check "Allow anonymous access to"
    - Check "Allow anonymous uploads to"

Click Save Settings button.

A few caveats with using this method. First of all, a dedicated IP is required for the account using Anonymous FTP. Next, anyone can connect to the public_ftp folder using anonymous.

If you instead want all users to share the same FTP folder, but do not want to allow anonymous access, you could setup an FTP user account like detailed at the beginning in cPanel > FTP Accounts area and give all of them the login details for that FTP user's account.