The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/POP Fails Constantly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wills, Apr 5, 2006.

1. wills

wills Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I have a strange problem. On one of our servers the FTP and POP services will just arbitrarily fail. I have a feeling someone is doing something naughty but I wanted to get some input as to where I should poke my head to find out what is going on the box.

The server is a Dell dual Xeon with 2 GB RAM. Plenty of resource to go around so I can't imagine it is out of resources.

2. simplybe

simplybe Well-Known Member

I just had a similar problem with ftp & pop3 failing. the load on the server was reaching 20 but only for a short period. ftp & pop3 seem to be the first to fail when the load is high.

I found the cause to be a bad mysql database using too much cpu and mem.

don't know if this is the same reason yours are failing. Check the logs and see who was doing what at the time of the failure.

mytop is a good script for catching mysql users

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

One thing to check is that you're not using SIM from rfxnetworks which conflicts with chkservd and can wreak havoc.

4. dreamwiz

dreamwiz Well-Known Member

I had same problem.. loads were over 20 because of huge traffic in one site using MySQL. I stopped MySQL for a while and restarted FTP and it came back up.