The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP Port

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kaveyhosting, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Kaveyhosting

Kaveyhosting Well-Known Member

Hi I am wondering if anyone knows of anything special I need to do after changing my ftp port to a different port. I changed it in proftpf.conf and /etc/chkserv.d/proftpd and restarted everything and when I connect with smartftp everything shows up fine and i can go through files and such ... no problem. Now when others try to use it most of them have problems. It will not list their files. They use different programs but their programs worked fine on port 21. Is there something special they have to do on their end or I have to do on my end to allow them access with program such as flashfxp or IE or Mozilla?>

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Why would you move the FTP port? It's not as simple as just moving port 21, you also have to consider the control port (port 20) which FTP uses for non-PASV connections. If you have a firewall installed, you'll also have to make sure that the stateful packet inspection (SPI) is applied to the new port you have configured to allow PASV connections to ethereal ports.

If you're trying to do this as a security measure, you'd be better off disabling FTP and only allowing SFTP (FTP over SSH).