The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP secure questions

Discussion in 'Security' started by wkdwich, Sep 15, 2010.

1. wkdwich

wkdwich Well-Known Member

I have been working with CPanelDavidG on another thread and he suggested I post this here..
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/sftp-access-virtual-ftp-users-146521.html#post690802
    read & read it all again.. sorry if I am being dense!

I have had bad breakins over the past year, but once I completely shut FTP and added some other measures that all stopped, they try, but dont get in.

I have one hosted client with wordpress running and I would like to allow her to auto update WP without my intervention.

The setup I chose:
    TLS Encryption Support: Required (command)
    TLS Cipher Suite: HIGH:MEDIUM:+TLSv1:!SSLv2:+SSLv3
    Anonymous login & upload: NO
    Broken Clients Compatibility: NO

FTP/SSL AUTH DID connected fine

is this method enough security to turn on FTP and hopefully keep the bad guys out AND allow WP to do its auto updates? Idealy I would like to turn on FTP, allow only specific users to be allowed to use FTPS only.

I woud also like email notification of ANY and ALL FTP connections. I currently receive both txt and email notice of SSH and SFTP connections. How do I make that happen??

thanks!

2. lane

lane Registered

3. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you considered using a firewall to only allow specific IPs to access FTP(S)?

CSF (ConfigServer Security & Firewall) can make that a fairly simple process if you have root WHM.