The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ftp subdomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cclass, Feb 18, 2013.

1. cclass

cclass Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm in the process of moving several sites to a new server.

I was unable to SSH into my old server from my new server to copy accounts so I used /scripts/pkgacct and then restored them on my new server using restorepkg.

On my old server, FTP was accessed using ftp.domain.com. Now that everything is on my new server, even though cPanel settings for each account are the same I can no longer access FTP using a subdomain but instead have to use just domain.com which works fine.

In each account, ftp.domain.com is listed as the URL to access the FTP server. Is it necessary to have a ftp.domain.com subdomain to access FTP? If so, what do I need to do to have it function the same way as my last server? Do I need to create individual subdomains for each of the cPanel accounts? Do I need to add DNS records for each account?

Many thanks,

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

I should also note that ftp.domain.com works on one other domain that should have all the same configurations as the rest of the domains. As far as I know nothing is different. All I've done is create the packages and restored them.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can create sub.domains as separate cPanel accounts with their own Features list etc. Sub.domains created all on the same account, would all be accessed from the main cPanel users login details. Addon FTP accounts you create would use the addon FTP accounts name and domain name as login username. john@yourdomain.com would have access to yourdomain.com/john/ for example.

You can use ftp.domain.com but you don't need to really. yourdomain.com for the host in FTP client should work fine.

3. cclass

cclass Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. How would I create ftp.domain.com for use as the FTP server address for each domain I have? e.g. ftp.domain1.com, ftp.domain2.com, ftp.domain3.com etc

Thanks!

4. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In the DNS zone of the domain domain.com should be an entry:

ftp 14400 IN A <domain's IP here>

If there is not you can create it and after that ftp.domain.com will work.

5. cclass

cclass Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, thanks. I'll do that. Does it matter? Is it better for some reason to use an ftp subdomain or can I instruct the client to just use the domain to connect?

Thanks,

Chris

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Using yourdomain.com as the hostname, while connecting on port 21 should get you to FTP just fine.

7. cclass

cclass Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Some of the domains that I would except to work using ftp.domain.com have this in their DNS zone except instead of A it's CNAME <DOMAIN URL> - pulled over from the old server. However, they don't work whilst others with the same records do.

I've noticed that even though I've updated the nameservers with the registrar and added a DNS record for all our domains with the correct IP address, some of the domains still show that they're pointing to the nameservers of our old server in WHM (even though I update these sites through our new server and a WHOIS gives the new IP address). Those domains are the ones where ftp.domain.com works. The other domains that are pointing to our new nameservers AND have ftp 14400 IN CNAME <DOMAIN URL> don't.

I don't fully understand all of the configuration so I'm probably missing something but I know I updated nameservers/IPs/DNS records the same for all of my domains.

Thanks,

Chris