The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP to public_ftp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by autson, Sep 5, 2002.

  1. autson

    autson Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2002
    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    I want users to ftp into public_ftp only is that possible? if so how?
     
  2. TomB

    TomB Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    I would like to do this also. Anybody????
     
  3. itf

    itf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:9a4cf8ea3f][i:9a4cf8ea3f]Originally posted by autson[/i:9a4cf8ea3f]

    I want users to ftp into public_ftp only is that possible? if so how?[/quote:9a4cf8ea3f]

    anonymous users can access to public_ftp (if you enable anonymous access)

    But if you would like to restrict a users' access by ftp to a subdirectory of /home/username/
    then modify /etc/proftpd/username file

    or add additional FTP account
     
  4. TomB

    TomB Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Thanks for the reply. However, on a reseller account you don't have access to /etc/proftpd/. This seems like a real short coming.

    Let's say as a reseller you have a client account that has a designer who needs access to the public_html directory to mount pages, etc. That designer doesn't need access to the site &root& as then he could go to /mail/account.com/user and download and read any email. You can't have your HOST keep making changes in /etc/proftpd/ for you. How are others handling this issue?

    Thanks,

    Tom
     
  5. itf

    itf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:8511920da5][i:8511920da5]Originally posted by TomB[/i:8511920da5]

    Thanks for the reply. However, on a reseller account you don't have access to /etc/proftpd/. This seems like a real short coming.

    Let's say as a reseller you have a client account that has a designer who needs access to the public_html directory to mount pages, etc. That designer doesn't need access to the site &root& as then he could go to /mail/account.com/user and download and read any email. You can't have your HOST keep making changes in /etc/proftpd/ for you. How are others handling this issue?

    Thanks,

    Tom[/quote:8511920da5]

    This is the easiest way however there are some other ways too:

    in Cpanel -& Account Settings -& Anonymous FTP controls

    Enable these two items

    Allow anonymous access to ftp://ftp.domain.com
    Allow anonymous upload to ftp://ftp.domain.com/incoming/

    Now ask your designer to upload your files and directories to [b:8511920da5]incoming[/b:8511920da5] directory (/home/user/public_ftp/incoming) by anonymous login

    Don't forget to disable upload to incoming directory after your designer because others can upload to that directory too.
     
  6. Juanra

    Juanra Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2001
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Spain
    You can create an additional FTP account, which will have access to only a subtree under public_html.
     
  7. mikerayner

    mikerayner Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2002
    Messages:
    192
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:5645a428b5][i:5645a428b5]Originally posted by Juanra[/i:5645a428b5]

    You can create an additional FTP account, which will have access to only a subtree under public_html.[/quote:5645a428b5]
    incoming directory is better because additional ftp account could be abused, I think just for receiving some files for one or two times incoming directory is enough additional ftp account is useful while you want to give access for a long period of time.
     
  8. itf

    itf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    If your designer needs just one time access, incoming directory (anonymous ftp) is useful but if you want give him a permanent access (or for longer period of time)

    in Cpanel -& Account Settings -& FTP control -& FTP Accounts

    Add additional FTP account
     
  9. TomB

    TomB Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Thank you for your responses, however it still seems that there is no way to allow, in the example above, a designer to have ftp access to the public_html directory and all sub-directories under public_html (ie cgi-bin, scgi-bin, etc) in order set-up scripts, place and remove files so he/she would be able to maintain the site on a day to day basis.

    Creating ftp user &testftp& puts a sub-directoy in public_html named &testftp& yes, files are viewable on the web at http://www.yourdomain.com/testftp/file.htm but someone would have to move the files into public_html in order for the site be seen in a conventional manner (without going to the sub) not to mention the designer/developer would not have access to cgi-bin for script set-up, etc. This feature seems like it would be one of the most requested and used. Am I missing something here?

    Thanks again,

    Tom
     
  10. itf

    itf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:70d3913bca][i:70d3913bca]Originally posted by TomB[/i:70d3913bca]

    Thank you for your responses, however it still seems that there is no way to allow, in the example above, a designer to have ftp access to the public_html directory and all sub-directories under public_html (ie cgi-bin, scgi-bin, etc) in order set-up scripts, place and remove files so he/she would be able to maintain the site on a day to day basis.

    Creating ftp user &testftp& puts a sub-directoy in public_html named &testftp& yes, files are viewable on the web at http://www.yourdomain.com/testftp/file.htm but someone would have to move the files into public_html in order for the site be seen in a conventional manner (without going to the sub) not to mention the designer/developer would not have access to cgi-bin for script set-up, etc. This feature seems like it would be one of the most requested and used. Am I missing something here?

    Thanks again,

    Tom[/quote:70d3913bca]
    You are right.
    But there are some solutions:

    Add an additional ftp user i.e. 'designer'
    then ask your provider (root) to modify

    /etc/proftpd/yourmainaccount

    and change /home/user/public_html/designer to
    /home/user/public_html
    for designer user
     
  11. TomB

    TomB Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Thank you itf. I was aware of that solution but was hoping for something that would not involve my provider. It just seems like this would have been thought about in the cPanel design, as anyone who is reselling any amount of accounts at all will come across this issue I'm sure. Even the free wp://cp has this feature.

    Thanks again,
     
  12. itf

    itf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:91dfecc9a1][i:91dfecc9a1]Originally posted by TomB[/i:91dfecc9a1]

    Thank you itf. I was aware of that solution but was hoping for something that would not involve my provider. It just seems like this would have been thought about in the cPanel design, as anyone who is reselling any amount of accounts at all will come across this issue I'm sure. Even the free wp://cp has this feature.

    Thanks again,

    [/quote:91dfecc9a1]

    if you have SSH access

    add an additional FTP account like 'main' (via cpanel) then you have a directory like this:
    /home/user/public_html/main
    put your index.html there and create a symbolic link to that file like this

    ln -s /home/user/public_html/main/index.html /home/user/public_html/index.html

    then ask your designer to upload your site to /home/user/public_html/main by his ftp account

    if someone refers to http://yourdomain.com that index.html file is displayed but other links should be http://yourdomain.com/main/other.html
     
  13. TomB

    TomB Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Not real pretty, but hey!! should work in a pinch. Thanks Again!!
     
  14. Juanra

    Juanra Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2001
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Spain
    [quote:dc1c20f559][i:dc1c20f559]Originally posted by TomB[/i:dc1c20f559]
    Thank you itf. I was aware of that solution but was hoping for something that would not involve my provider. It just seems like this would have been thought about in the cPanel design, as anyone who is reselling any amount of accounts at all will come across this issue I'm sure. Even the free wp://cp has this feature.
    [/quote:dc1c20f559]

    I'm pretty sure it's just a question of time until this feature gets implemented in Cpanel - obviously there's a lot of demand for it:
    http://web.cpanel.net/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=285
    http://web.cpanel.net/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=490
    http://web.cpanel.net/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=767
    http://web.cpanel.net/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=779
     
  15. TomB

    TomB Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Thanks for the links. I'm just about ready to get rid of this cPanel account as it just seems like I'm always fighting with it to do simple things. Maybe I'll stick it out a little longer, since reading your links. At least I'm not the only one that REALLY needs this enhancement. It just seems like the work around is cumbersome and you really shouldn't have to that. I think this is a major design flaw, since the only way you can ftp in and have access to public_html (&root& I use this term loosley) is to use your account user name and password. This then also gives access to the mail accounts ..... not good at all! Since the majority of my clients don't even know they have cPanel (and could care less), but want to have their web guy/gal maintain their site it is making life H---!! If it was just one or two accounts it would be managable but it is getting to be just about all of them want this. How soon I wonder?
     
  16. Juanra

    Juanra Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2001
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Spain
  17. itf

    itf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    TomB
    this is exactly what you want
    1) create an additional account like 'main'

    2) in a SSH session :
    rm -rf /home/your-main-user-name/public_html/main
    ln -s /home/your-main-user-name/public_html /home/your-main-user-name/public_html/main

    then your designer can log in and upload your site to /home/your-main-user-name/public_html/ directory as you wish
     
  18. Juanra

    Juanra Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2001
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Spain
    [quote:bd6787237e][i:bd6787237e]Originally posted by itf[/i:bd6787237e]
    The result is : What you offered will not work you can try it to make sure.[/quote:bd6787237e]

    Actually it worked [i:bd6787237e]too[/i:bd6787237e] well. As in for example:
    # ls -s /usr/usr
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 12 05:02 /usr/usr -& /usr/

    I sent you PM, please check.
     
  19. itf

    itf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2002
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    [quote:81af212088][i:81af212088]Originally posted by Juanra[/i:81af212088]

    [quote:81af212088][i:81af212088]Originally posted by itf[/i:81af212088]
    The result is : What you offered will not work you can try it to make sure.[/quote:81af212088]

    Actually it worked [i:81af212088]too[/i:81af212088] well. As in for example:
    # ls -s /usr/usr
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 12 05:02 /usr/usr -& /usr/

    I sent you PM, please check.[/quote:81af212088]
    yes juanra you are right

    but it is working this way
    TomB
    this is exactly what you want
    1) create an additional account like '[b:81af212088]main[/b:81af212088]'

    2) in a SSH session :
    rm -rf /home/user-name/public_html/[b:81af212088]main[/b:81af212088]
    ln -s /home/user-name/public_html /home/user-name/public_html/[b:81af212088]main[/b:81af212088]

    then your designer can log in and upload your site to /home/your-main-user-name/public_html/ directory as you wish

    looks like you create additional FTP account for /home/user/public_html
     
Loading...

Share This Page