Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP upload problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexis75, Sep 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alexis75

alexis75 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    I have a problem with files uploading via FTP to my Server. Searched this forum, but didn't find any solution to my problem unfortunat.
    The problem started after migrating to CentOS 7; using Pure-FTP, EA4, CSF.

I followed instructions in: "How to Enable FTP Passive Mode" at cPanel KB:
    -passive ports range is set in pure-ftpd.conf
    -same range is opened in CSF firewall
    -using passive mode in FTP over Port 21

Symptoms:
    -can connect via FTP to any web account
    -can see listing(s), can delete/rename files/folders
    -can download any files with no problem

-sometimes can upload one single file or 2-3 files, but when it comes to upload in bulk/folder(s) FTP client just freezes and won't upload at all or get message after a while 'File transfer failed' -> FTP reconnects and start over, then hangs.

Any suggestions what is wrong here?

p.s: can connect via the same FTP client to another Server (from my VPS provider) and upload/download without any problem

Appreciate any help, thank you.

//A

2. Babene7

Babene7 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Disable CSF and try again.
    If the issue is solved, then it was due to CSF. Enable it, try again and check CSF logs or look up for your PC's IP on /var/log/messages

Also, if you're using an encrypted FTP connection with Filezilla, try with a plain one. I've had problems with setups like yours and encrypted FTP connections in the past.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. alexis75

alexis75 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for answering,
    I'm using FTP plain connection (passive mode), worked well over many years while we were on CL5 server, tried with both Filezilla and FlashFXP.

Is it wise and safe to disable CSF firewall on Live Server? even for a short period of time to test?

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's no need to disable it. You can simply ensure it's properly configured to allow the passive port range. There's a thread on this topic at:

SOLVED - passive mode on pure-ftp + configserver

Thank you.

6. alexis75

alexis75 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you,
    I saw that thread before I posted my question. I searched indeed as much I could about our FTP problem, but couldn't really find a satisfying solution, yet.. I can confirm that a range of 'passive ports' is set for Pure-FTP and is opened in CSF firewall.

As I can verify for the moment the problem with FTP uploading still not fully resolved, but this is what we have right now:
    -uploading via FTP for instance working better today (from same IP, no changes made to CSF), e.g we were able to upload multiple files, have tested with several accounts on that VPS. However once a while FTP still pauses -> uploading rate drops to Zero -> and finally gives us 'Transfer failed', but eventually uploads files to Server. So, it does work in general, but something still causing those random 'Transfer failed' that was never experienced earlier.

-I also tested to upload via FTP to the VPS by simply connecting my laptop via mobile phone, e.g another IP provider. Such test confirmed, that there is no problem to upload to Server - tested with many different files/folders, normal behavior.

-I can also upload via same FTP client, from same IP which presumably have issues with new VPS to another Server from my hosting provider, and according to them they do NOT even use 'passive ports' there ?

Does all above clarify anything or hopefully narrowing to some specific problem?
    could it be some Server / CSF settings that causing such troubles? our IP-nr is white-listed in WHM and I couldn't find it anywhere in IP tables, it doesn't look like IP-block since we can reach WHM/cPanel/websites/mails at all time.

Appreciate any help!

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look at the affected system?

Thank you.

8. alexis75

alexis75 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My hope was to get some answers to such strange specific FTP problem by describing symptoms of the problem ) Unfortunately, we cannot grant full access to our VPS, our hosting provider can also do a troubleshooting if it comes to that.
    Seems we just have to continue doing more tests and try to find a solution.
    Thank you for your help with this question.