The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP user with SSH?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tmallardi, Jan 7, 2006.

1. tmallardi

tmallardi Well-Known Member

I have a virtual domain account which has shell access. I can successfully connect using SFTP for that main account.

I then created an FTP account within that domain. The new FTP account cannot SFTP, only FTP.

How can I grant shell access to an individual FTP account?

thanks,
    Tim

2. Vinayak

Vinayak Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SFTP is just FTP over SSH. This means that you are effectively connecting to the server through SSH just with an SFTP client that understands FTP commands and interpretes those into SSH commands that the server can understand. SSH only works for real Linux users (i.e main accounts). As such, SFTP will only work for real Linux users.

Think of SSH and main user account as being created at the system level. FTP users that you create through your control panel are created at the application level. This means when you connect to the FTP port and the FTP service on the server, the FTP server application kicks in and will read the username that you provide and will compare this to a file that the FTP server application can read and then determine whether or not to authenticate that user based on the username and password combination that was given. This is all done purely at the application level and not at the system level.

When you create an FTP user the syntax is such as ftpuser@domain.com. The operating system will not recognize this as a real user, because it is not a real user. The operating system only recognizes real users, main account usernames, and those are the only users that can be given SSH access and thus can use SFTP.

Hope this helps.

4. tmallardi

tmallardi Well-Known Member

Sparek - I appreciate how you took the time to explain why it can't be done. It makes obvious sense now.

thanks,
    Tim