The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP usernames

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zim, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Zim

Zim Member

FTP usernames (@domain.com really needed.. this is nuts..)

I did a search and noticed many similar threads, but not a definitive answer, and still no reference to firm documentation on this issue.

I started hosting with HFW back in January, and set up 3 add-on domains.

I dutifully sent the username/password to Dave (who manages one of the ad-on domains) as addon_domain-com/pwd.

Which he used, and I used without problem.

I just got back from being out of town and had an email from him saying the username/password NO LONGER worked.

It seems something now is forcing us to use username@domain.com as the login, which is all well and good except that in our case this is ~42 characters long and causes ncftp (the best unix command-line ftp?) to choke and the login fails as the xmitteed username appears to lose part of the .com at the end.

I've since been experimenting and am finding that ANY ftp acct except the main acct is requiring this.. add-on domains, sub-domains, even additional ftps for the main acct.

I am puzzled b/c

a) as I say, we had it working for ~1.5 months just as "username" (by 2 two ppl from 2 different IPs... since ncftp only saves bookmarks for successful connections, this is the only way I could have a bookmark, and I do

b) where in Gods green earth is this doucmented? I see no mention of this in the Cpanel documents, and it is NOT mentioned when an ftp acct is created.

So what's the scoop on this? HFW refuses to address either of these points for me.

Mike

#1 Zim, Mar 5, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  2. Zim

Zim Member

Hate to bump, but doesn't anyone have info on this?

Thanks,
    Mike

3. Zim

Zim Member

Might be nice if this "feature" (or lack thereof) was documented (I've been told there FTP managet text in _some_ themes mentions it, but not int he default theme at HFW)

Also truly puzzled as to how I _had_ a working ncft bookmark for the "short" version of the username.

Mike

4. Zim

Zim Member

On further investigation, it IS a host problem.

I have now tried to log in with

- ncftp 3.15
    - ftp
    - Mozilla
    - Internet Explorer (both with ftp://user:pass@host
    - 2 other misc GUI based ftp clients

It appears that the SERVER-side ftpd is chopping the username off at 42 characters in length.

Indeed, downloading the source for pureftp, in globals.h I find

GLOBAL0(char account[42]); /* user login */

Mike

#4 Zim, Mar 10, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  5. Zim

Zim Member

Looking ahead to pureftp 1.18 this willl be a bigger issue... the username size limit drops from 42 to 32. (HFW is currently using 1.12)

Mike

6. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Please submit this as a bug report so that the cPanel folks can be made aware of the problem.

7. Zim

Zim Member

Done

Bug ID: 42605

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 42605