The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ftp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by uk01, Jan 1, 2010.

1. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to sort ftp for several hours, maybe you can help.
    On my vps and dedicated server, I used to be able to connect using SFTP with SSH AND also FTP SSL (Explicit). I do not allow plain text ftp.

I use Cyberduck ftp client and Filezilla. CYberduck mostly because its great on Mac.

Today I found that I can connect using ftp ssl explicit, but when it gets to 'listing directory' it fails.
    This happens in Cyberduck but not in Filezilla... it seems that the LIST command isn't working or something...

I can still log in ok using ssh but trying to explain secure ftp to clients is a nightmare anyway as I get "I just want to connect, why all this security, my previous host just let me connect"

Appreciate any help from anyone! While trying to sort this I keep locking myself out for port scanning etc!
    :)

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

What specific error message you receive while 'listing directory'? And do the problem occur only on your Dedicated server OR on your VPS as well? If it's just the dedicated server, what is the output of

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As the above post mentioned it is probably a firewall issue.

In terms of explaining to your clients, you just have to explain to them it is for security. I would suggest making a FAQ page that you can point them to that explains the benefits and why it is important to them.

4. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

hi, we are looking into this again now.

We've had complaints that Filezilla is now also saying "directory listing failed"

Adding an FAQ is a good idea for our website - first we have to try explaining to clients why "Its not working anymore" and you know what they are like, they just say "it worked last week, please make it work again" :-/ *rolls eyes*