FTPS filezilla not trusted warning

digitaliway

Feb 17, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am using Filezilla to connect with an ftp user account using settings - require explicit FTP over TLS, port 21

server is cpanel 76.0.10
ftp server: Pure-FTPD
TLS Encryption Support: optional

I get a certificate is unknown when trying to connect (see screen shot): cl.ly/5c1dc6ba8548

I have the automatic certificate installed for my hostname and when I look at the details it shows:

owner: This website does not supply ownership information.
verified by: cPanel, Inc.
expires: Tuesday, June 18, 2019

--------------------------

why is the message appearing if the certificate is issued by cpanel and seems to be NOT self signed?

Do I need to overwrite this certificate with a lets encrypt cert? if so How do I do that?

I am open to any ideas to fix this so my users can use FTPS with no warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello @digitaliway

This isn't an error it's just filezilla telling you it doesn't know the certificate and requesting you confirm it is valid and you trust it. They explain it in their forum as well: https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=45670

Ultimately all that is needed to be done is to check the box under "Trust this certificate and carry on Connecting?"

digitaliway

Feb 17, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is the cert that is auto installed for the ftp service is it a self signed or a domain validate one? I thought it was validated.

I read the post and I an just curious on your interpretation. Basically it is saying that no matter what certificate I install: purchased, lets encrypt, cpanel etc... I will still get this prompt in firefox and need to dismiss it by checking trust. just wanted to confirm in case that link does not exist in the future so this post will have resolution?

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Is the cert that is auto installed for the ftp service is it a self signed or a domain validate one?
it is issued by a registered certificate authority as you can see by the section that says: Certificate Issuer. In the event of a self-signed certificate, it would say either self-signed or that your server host issued the certificate.

Basically it is saying that no matter what certificate I install: purchased, lets encrypt, cpanel etc... I will still get this prompt in firefox and need to dismiss it by checking trust.
Yes you would! Per their own explanation of it, they don't use the OS certificate store so it's up to you to validate/verify.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Security 3
W Security 3
sreeninair Security 7
D Security 3