FTPS (Secure FTP) for WHM Backups?

lewis-teck

Apr 28, 2016
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have just refreshed my server with a new install, and am on the backups part. I have always used FTP to send backups to my Windows VPS, which has Filezilla Server. I'm happy with that setup and it works well, however I've discovered that WHM's Backup FTP destination doesn't seem to allow FTPS connections.

Filezilla server doesn't support SFTP (who named it that? got me a bit confused thinking it meant Secure FTP when it doesn't). I did some Googling and there any many threads that discuss this from 2014 through 2016, including two threads here for a search of "FTPS Backup", a feature request which Benny from cPanel said that it's been added to a backlog of features. That can be found here https://features.cpanel.net/topic/backup-destination-ftp-with-ssl-tls-support

I cannot see any FTPS options within cPanel and it's 2020. The only option is FTP. I set it up, validated correctly, then forced TLS/Secure connections on Filezilla Server, with the server now unable to connect as it's an insecure connection. WHM does not automatically go for FTPS, and there's no option I can see, either as a destination or as an option under the FTP fields. All of my details are correct.

Am I missing something here?
Maybe secure FTP is overrated and I don't need it?
Or is this seriously 6 years or more on from FTPS suggestions and it still isn't here?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
You could potentially use the custom transport for FTPS ( How to Create a Custom Transport Script for Backups | cPanel & WHM Documentation ) but right now we only offer FTP and SFTP natively. You are correct on the fact that the FileZilla Server only supports FTP and FTPS. The client supports SFTP, FTP and FTPS - I'm not sure why it doesn't support SFTP. The Feature request you note has not been completed, if you follow it you will get notified if it's completed in the future

angelleye

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas City, MO
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
@cPanelLauren I am using a Synology NAS with FTP server built in that supports SFTP, and when I connect to that using FileZilla client with SFTP configured, everything works perfectly.

However, from WHM Backup, the same user account creates a validation file just fine, but cannot delete it. Any ideas why that would be? It says cannot delete because of permissions, but again, the same credentials work just fine when connecting from other clients.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston