The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full backup after getting hacked

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by confused_user, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Hello everyone,

My site was hacked a little while ago because I was ignorant with regards to file permissions. After doing some searching on wordpress forums for the proper CHMOD permissions for my files, my full backup file through cPanel has been significantly smaller than it should. Prior to getting hacked, my backup tar.gz file was over 250 MB and now it's only 38 MB. I think it's getting caught where the permissions are perhaps cranked too high.

I received a "success" e-mail confirmation that my full backup is complete, and there appears to be no errors in it.

I used the following permissions across the board for my site:

ALL directories = 755
    ALL files (including theme files) = 644
    .htaccess = 644

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

2. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    File and directory permissions look fine. I doubt the wrong permissions could cause a smaller backup. The backup will backup whatever it finds regardless of permissions. Seems you have some other issue.

3. m3Rlin

m3Rlin Member

Can you check and compare the new and the old backup files to figure out which folders shrank? There maybe nothing missing from the site itself but how about mail, logs, etc? Those are also included in the backup.

4. embarazo

embarazo Registered

Be careful next time, there are so many hackers around. You should check if something is wrong with your file, etc. M3rlin is right, you should compare the new and the old one.