The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Backup including actual emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by agustinsp, Feb 5, 2012.

1. agustinsp

agustinsp Registered

Hi everyone!

I need to migrate a website from a hosting company to another, and I need to be able to do a Full Backup that include the actual emails inside of the accounts. I tried using the full backup tool inside the cpanel but it doesn't include the actual emails, just the email accounts, passwords, forwarders, etc. Is there a way of including this emails? Thank you!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello agustinsp,

The full backup of the cPanel account should include the actual emails in /home/username/mail/domain.com/emailuser location. They will be stored in flat files in that folder where username is the cPanel username, domain.com is the domain name, and emailuser is the email account user's name.

Are you certain you were looking at the right location for those files? The cur and new folders typically are the ones with most of the emails on the email user's account.

Thanks!

3. agustinsp

agustinsp Registered

Hi, thanks for your answer, the problem is that the mail directory is actually a link to /mail/accountname so thats why the emails are not being included in the backup, any ideas? thank you very much!

agustin

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Symlinks are not followed for backups of that nature. You won't be able to obtain a backup of the files using the cPanel backup tool if you have a manually created symlink. You'll have to back them up separately or remove the symlink.

5. agustinsp

agustinsp Registered

Well.. I just realized that I can directly copy the email files from the old server to the new one and everything works perfect. Anyways, thank you for you time!