Full Disk now errors due to removal

RootJohn

Jan 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello all,

I've tried to clear up space by deleting the /var/log with the following command
rm -rf /var/logs/*
I went from 86M to 0 space usage.

I also applied the same concept to /usr/local/apache/logs/*

However, I believe my only current issue is the below which relates to the deletion of /var/logs
Cannot open /var/log/sa/sa15: No such file or directory
I attempted to solve the issue by creating the directories sa/sa15 but it now reports
Cannot open /var/log/sa/sa15: Is a directory (notifying me every 5 minutes)
when I ran the sar it stated Invalid system activity file: /var/log/sa/sa15

Any help would be appreciated, I fear this may not have been the right approach to clear the contents.

Also, if someone can please assist me with additional directories that can be cleared on a schedule, I'd appreciate it.

I've also just received another notification from EXIM (red highlight)
May 15 10:24:24 na.com systemd[1]: exim.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 15 10:24:24 na.com systemd[1]: Unit exim.service entered failed state.
May 15 10:24:24 na.com systemd[1]: exim.service failed.
Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.

The system could not provide log messages for “exim” because it failed to read all of the potential log files with the following errors: Error while attempting to open “/var/log/exim_mainlog”: “No such file or directory”, Error while attempting to open “/var/log/secure”: “No such file or directory”, Error while attempting to open “/var/log/maillog”: “No such file or directory”, Error while attempting to open “/var/log/messages”: “No such file or directory”

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
When you created sa15, did you create this as a directory.
I've had a look on mine and sa15 appears to be a file, although i'm unable to read it as it's full of gibberish.
Maybe try removing the directory sa15, see if the system recreates the file ??

similarly all the additional failures you mentioned, also appear to be files and not directories if it helps.

dalem

PartnerNOC
Oct 24, 2003
SLC
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
/home/cpeasyapache
any old cpanel backup/restore files
/home/cpmove-someusername
/home/cpmove-someusername.tar.gz

and remove any unused kernels

uname -a

rpm -qa | grep kernel

yum remove old_kernel

That should clear up enough space so you can work that you wont get IO errors
then you can investigate what is using up your space.

do not just arbitrarily start delete all log files if they are open which some of them will be as you found. will be written to a temp directory waiting for deletion if you must delete old logs delete logs that have been rotated and are no longer being written to.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
New I have restored the server instead. When attempting to make room what are the directories that are okay to be completely deleted?
Hello,

Generally, you should not have to remove any files/directories after the cPanel installation. How much disk space are you allowing for each partition or for the server in general?

Thank you.

RootJohn

Jan 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Well the server had been given 90 GB but the environment was only seeing 15GB. After deleting the xfs partition /dev/sda4 it was able to recognize the remaining start/end space which was 75 GB. But I somehow didn't extend it right so now my recovery is unable to display any volume groups using vgdisplay.

Does cPanel require volume groups?