Full new server OR MySQL dedicated server

verdon

Nov 1, 2003
Northern Ontario, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on expansion strategy. Currently, I have one dedicated cPanel server with about 100 clients, 80% or so of which are using WordPress. Hosting WordPress sites sucks the life out of a server, I am discovering. I'm considering bringing a second server online for growth.

I'm curious on the opinions of others as to whether I'd get more bang for my buck, by bringing another standard cPanel server online for new clients, or by bringing a MySQL only server online and off-loading MySQL to it from my existing cPanel box, hopefully feeing up CPU load.

If I did go with a dedicated database server, would it a) have to have cPanel on it at all, and b) serve as a remote database server for more than one cPanel server down the road.

Thanks for any opinion on this.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
If I did go with a dedicated database server, would it a) have to have cPanel on it at all, and b) serve as a remote database server for more than one cPanel server down the road.
Hello,

Remote MySQL servers do not require cPanel and can serve databases for multiple cPanel servers. The following document offers additional information:

Manage MySQL Profiles

The decision on using a remote MySQL server compared to placing clients on a new cPanel server really depends on your specific situation, as it's difficult to estimate which one would better help with the managing resource usage.

Thank you.

Reactions: verdon