The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Server Backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by build18er, Jan 14, 2006.

1. build18er

build18er Member

I nee to reinstall CPanel on my server, and i want to know the best way to backup all of the accounts and data and verify that it is there.

2. tuxdesk

tuxdesk Well-Known Member

One simple way is there. Please connect an extra HD to the server configure cpbackup to that and inform to the client to stop update data. After reinstalling cpanel you can restore data.

3. build18er

build18er Member

Problems

I heard though that sometimes the built in cpanel backup has problems. I can't really risk it. Any other ideas?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you don't want to use cPanel backup, then the best idea would be to have a new OS and cPanel installed on a new system disk and then mount the old one as a slave unit and use the following thread to migrate the data over:
    http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38797

That said, a full cPanel backup should have what you need to restore.

5. build18er

build18er Member

Thanks

I think it will work.

6. scottc

scottc Well-Known Member

There are some things that cpanel does not back up. This I learned the hard way when a primary drive crashed and we had to replace it. Off the top of my head, here are some things you will need to backup and restore manually:

- any custom lines in httpd.conf. cpanel will recreate this domain by domain when restoring your backup. It will resemble your current httpd.conf but any changes you made to it outside of cpanel will be lost.

- if you have tomcat installed some user files and databases may be lost.

- many (maybe all) of your WHM settings will be lost, i.e. Tweak Settings, Tweak Security, Configure Backup, Add-Ons configurations, etc. Remember to look for clients (if any) who you have granted special permissions to, such as disabling open basedir so they could share data between domains. If you don't check this carefully you could be in for some nasty surprises, for example, the number of emails that can be sent per hour and things like that will be different and may effect your clients.

If anyone can add to this list it would be helpful for future reference.

Also, you might want to consider the making the following changes if you haven't already done so (may as well get them all over with at once):

- switch to phpsuexec
    - upgrade to MySQL 4.1
    - convert to maildir

Scott

7. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

However the standard backup does backup those files. You just have to manually restore them.