The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Server Backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atlantishd, Aug 9, 2010.

1. atlantishd

atlantishd Registered

Hi,

After several serious hard drive failures on my server over the course of a few years, I decided to invest in some good server backups. The default cPanel backups take care of the home directory accounts which is fine, but I want to use my backup service (and tell me if this is NOT possible) to backup the whole server (well anything that holds a configuration setting, and is not standard in cPanel). So that in the event of a major crash I can have the O/S and cPanel reloaded by the data centre, onto the same server and same IP’s etc, and simply transfer the backups back over, and save loads of time re-configuring cpanel and installing and configuring CSF etc.

I am running a dedicated server with Centos 5.5, cpanel, Config Server Firewall, mail scanner etc.

The backups I am running are with webby cart, using rsync on a daily cron job.
    The cron job is below, and the list of folders backed up are listed as well.
    I have blanked out any identifiable hostnames etc with “x’s” for the post

Cron <root@xxxxxxxx> rsync -avz -e ssh /.cpanel /backup /bin /etc /home /lib /media /misc /mnt /net /opt /root /sbin /scripts /selinux /srv /usr /var /.forward /aquota.user /main /main.cache / xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.com /xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.com.cache /quota.user / xxxxxxxxx.xxx.xxxxxxxxx.com /xxxxxxxxx.xxx.xxxxxxxxx.com.cache xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.webbycart.com:server1_daily

So the directories backed up are: .cpanel /backup /bin /etc /home /lib /media /misc /mnt /net /opt /root /sbin /scripts /selinux /srv /usr /var
    .cpanel never backs up due to files being in use, I assume there is nothing in there that is required for a recovery?

So essentially my questions are:
    • Is what I am asking possible?
    • If so is it as easy to restore as I hope?
    • Am I backing up the right directories (not enough/too many)?

I know this could be classed more of a O/S question, but I would like to be sure that cPanel’s config is capable of being restored in this way.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully you’ll know the answer :)

Tim

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider