The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full system restore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by martin-lb, Nov 14, 2011.

1. martin-lb

martin-lb Registered

Hi All,

I am doing some basic backup and restore tests and I'm not quite sure how to do a full system restore on a second server.

In the backup directory I have 4 test accounts as gz files (test1.tar.gz, test2.tar.gz) as well as the folders "dirs" and "files". I have configured cpanel to do a full backup every day. So far so good.

The big question now is how do I restore? I have installed a second machine with another IP (and temporary trial license). The backup files (test1/2/3.tar.gz and dirs/files folders) are copied to the temporary machine.

How do I proceed to do a full system restore? That includes all the cpanel specific settings that I've done, the postwwwacct scripts we've written and so on, and also the test users websites/databases/emails.

Is it backup section -> restore backups -> and then select dirs or files?
    Or is it via Restore a full backup?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Martin

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Martin,

You'd want to restore a full backup. These backups will not restore your scripts that you've saved however such as postwwwacct scripts and so on. If you want to copy those settings to clone the machine, here's a thread on how to go about getting those directories:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/process-moving-whm-cpanel-server-new-hardware-184192.html#post831162

Additionally, you'd then need to copy any of these special scripts you've written in /scripts directory (or just copy the /usr/local/cpanel/scripts directory since /scripts is a symlink to that directory).

Thanks!

3. martin-lb

martin-lb Registered

Thanks for your quick reply!

The restore procedure for individual accounts seem to work great, what I don't get is how the restore of cpanel itself is supposed to be performed.

We have modified a whole bunch of settings in WHM from its default values, how do I restore these settings?
    How do I restore our EasyApache config?
    In the /backup/cpbackup I have the 'dirs' and 'files' folder, how do I restore these files using WHM for example?

I'm trying to get an understanding of how a complete restore is done, it's good to have everything tried out and documented when the day comes.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,
    Martin