Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Functioning Domain Failing DV Check

Discussion in 'Security' started by Varial, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Varial

Varial Member

Hi there,

I have a customer whose AutoSSL (cPanel vendor) certificate is failing to renew with the following error:

WARN The domain “example.com” failed domain control validation: “example.com” does not resolve to any IPv4 addresses on the internet.

However, the domain is fully functioning and I can ping it fine from the server.

I am using Google's resolvers, have Comodo's IPs whitelisted, and have even tried turning off our firewall, which did not help.

This domain is using 3rd party name servers rather than our own. I am suspecting this may be causing the problem since all domains that use ours do not have an issue.

What server initiates the DV check? My server or a cPanel/Comodo server? I don't see any reason why this check would be failing if originating from my cPanel server.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you verify which version of cPanel is installed on this system? Also, here's the command you can run from the cPanel server to determine if the domain name resolves to a valid IP address:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl -MCpanel::DnsRoots -e 'use Data::Dumper; print Dumper(Cpanel::DnsRoots::Resolver->new(debug => 1)->recursive_query("domain.tld","A"));'
    Replace "domain.tld" with the domain name in-question.

Thank you.

3. Varial

Varial Member

I'm running 11.64.0.36 stable build.

The command you gave produces the correct IP at the end:

$VAR1 = 'XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX;

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.