The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fundamental issues with setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benz1, Feb 20, 2011.

1. benz1

benz1 Member

Can someone please save my sanity? After 2 nights with virtually no sleep trying to so a server migration I am about to throw in the towel so this is my last resort.

I'm not a network engineer or anywhere near one but have used cpanel for years on managed servers. Long story short I've ended up with a host that does not provide cpanel or a managed service so I bought a cpanel license and the host installed it but did no configuration. I copied as much of the configuration as I could from another cpanel VPS account and recompiled Apache to the latest version. That's when problems started. I migrated over some account and some sites appear to work ok but others have serious issues so I've had to leave them on the old server for now. It looks liek the issues are all due to the configuration of cpanel.

Is there such a thing as a setting up cpanel for dummies guide that goes through all the configuration in non-technical terms and tells you step-by-step what to do for a 'standard' configuration?

Alternatively, where can I look to find someone to do it for me?

Thanks in advance.

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    #2 LinuxTechie, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. benz1

benz1 Member

Nameservers are still pointing to the old server but A records are pointing to the new. The plan was than once all accounts were migrated I'd then change the nameservers but have ended up with some accounts on the new (that appear to be working ok) and some on the old as they had issues when I migrated them.

Issues started of as simple as a WordPress slider not displaying any images to no GD and Freetype libraries. I recompiled Apache with the missing libraries but am told by the host that I shouldn't have and this is what caused other issues like various error messages on Wordpress sites, wrong ownership of files so couldn't them, being unable to extract files from a backup, etc. I'm sure all it needs is to be configured properly and recompiled correctly.

4. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, you are right ! Even a single missing module may cause issue! Need to look the issue closer to correct it.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You would want to review the Apache error logs when loading up any domains that aren't working:

Code:
    tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
    The error in the logs should give a good indication of why the site isn't loading properly most times. Did the old machine use DSO and the new machine suPHP for the PHP handler? You can tell the PHP handler at WHM > Apache Configuration > PHP and SuExec Configuration area.

Thanks.

6. benz1

benz1 Member

Thanks. Managed to get it working in the end after another Apache recompile but is there such a thing as a simple guide on maintaining a cpanel server, doing updates, etc? I've been advised to do regular distro updates but not to do automatic cpanel updates. So what do I do? Take backups and then do manual updates? Would be grateful for any advice on what I should be doing.

Thanks.

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Why were you advised not to do automatic cPanel updates? I would suggest keeping automatic cPanel updates and simply changing to the STABLE branch in WHM > Update Preferences area. STABLE is the tier with the least updates.

8. benz1

benz1 Member

I have managed cpanel hosting accounts with 2 of the better known hosts, both of whom set updates to manual by default. When I asked one of them why they replied, "Some times automatic update may break cPanel, it would be best to manually update the cPanel to the latest stable version".

Automatic updates using the STABLE version would be preferable if this is the consensus?

9. MattLee

MattLee BANNED

I would almost certainly recommend having automatic updates enabled.

Usually the larger hosts who have problems with the automatic updates have significant customizations and as such disable this feature until they can perform internal testing on their changes.

10. benz1

benz1 Member

Okay, thanks guys, will change to automatic STABLE updates.