The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funkiest DNS problem ever. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by crwilliams, Sep 30, 2005.

1. crwilliams

crwilliams Well-Known Member

I just got a new server setup as an upgrade for an older one. I thought I had all the DNS and nameserver stuff all setup correctly, and I moved two domains to it to test.

Except, the domains aren't resolving to the sites they're supposed to be. When I go to these sites in a browser, I'm getting some Argentine jewelry site. I don't have anything against Argentina, and the jewelry is quite lovely. But I'm pretty sure my customers want to see their own sites when they go to their URL's.

I've been over and over the settings and can't find anything wrong. The only thing different about this setup as opposed to the other servers I admin, is that I used the server's main IP as the nameserver, and I set one of the added IP's I ordered from the data center to be the shared IP. The two test sites are using that shared IP.

I'm sure it was working for a while yesterday, because I could get mail to go back and forth from the server. But now, even mail won't work, even when I use the IP numbers for the server name; and I can no longer get into the cpanels for the test domains, when I could do so yesterday. Going to the IP number/cpanel fails just as going to domain/cpanel does (it rejects the login). But when I traceroute the site URL's, it's working, and showing me the correct IP.

I honestly don't know what the heck I've done. I do know I don't host an Argentine jeweler. Any ideas?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you SSH into the shared IP instead of the main IP and try to login are you able to? If not, then it's most likely a routing problem at the NOC where your server is.

3. crwilliams

I can ssh with the shared IP, yes, so I guess that's not it. Thanks for the tip to try, though. I'll keep at it.

4. crwilliams

I changed the shared IP to another free one on the server, so at least the test sites are now resolving to a third test site I created on the new shared IP, rather than the Argentine Jeweler. I suppose I should give the two test sites more time to resolve properly, but I get the feeling my troubles aren't over.