The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

further development slowing down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyberspirit, Nov 9, 2003.

1. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Jun 27, 2003
    I just want to throw out some oberservations of mine and would like the feedback of others.
    It seems to me that the further development of cpanel has slowed down. Perhaps the project has gotten so big that it is no longer sustainable by the existing team?
    Here are some things that I noticed and that seem to confirm the slowdown:

- The Apache 2.0 beta project for cpanel is pretty much dead

- Pureftp, even though it is claimed to be safer, faster and more reliable by cpanel has not been updated in a long time with the cpanel builds. for example offers pureftp already TLS/SSL access but the version with cpanel does not

- Invision Powerboard came out with a new version months ago. Cpanel says they are still testing and fantastico has it already running just fine on a cpanel environment

- error messages in account creation scripts for users of pureftp are normal and seem to be accepted as normal by cpanel with no fix

- mailscanner - AV solution is still unsupported even though this seems to be so essential and asked for by so many

- the time in between release or stable builts has increased and some days there even seems to be nothing happening at all in terms of edge builts.

Do not get me wrong, I very much like WHM/cpanel and try to help and support it. But at the same time software only gets better if users point out problems, dissatisfaction and frustration.
  2. AceWeb

AceWeb Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2002
    I do not think so.

Seeing that apache 1.3.x still holds strong maybe there is not need for cpanel to spend a lot of time on it, I guess. Main resources are probably fouced for the main needs.

3. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2002

Right now I believe this is due to a big issue mentioned in about 5 different threads. Redhat, the most common platform here, said they will no longer be updating linux, and users will either have to move to their enterprise edition or switch to fedora, a free spinoff. Or they can pick a different "brand".
    I believe they dev team is planning for this, researching the platforms and deciding on where, in the future, they will spend most of their time in development. If only 2% go with RH Enterprise, why waste the time and money? If they find Fedora buggy, why waste the time and money? I would rather them wait 5 months and get this right than "fix" the version that may not even work away from redhat.