The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gateway Timeout Error, please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by origin1, Jun 16, 2005.

1. origin1

origin1 Registered

hi all!

i am a bit of a newbie with now my 1st own dedicated server. Redhat with cpanel.

i am not an expert, hence the search for help.

My problem is this: I registered a domain name with godaddy and set private name servers for the domain together with the primary and secondary ips as was provided by my host.

I got myself a dedicated server to host the domain on. 1st off I battled to get it configured just so that i can create the main domain account. at last, this was completed. account was created.

Now, 3 days later, the domain and name servers are resolved 100%. The hosting company says the Server Setup in whm is 100% configured for my dns settings. And yet, i get Gateway Timeout, dns_error . The hosting company says because I set private name servers, this error is now unsupported. godaddy says the nameservers are correct etc etc.

I dunno what to do now? The hosting company said I should go and ask in the forums. So here I am. Please can someone help?

2. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

Godaddy is a pain with private dns. You need to setup the nameservers in this order:

1. Domain Host Summary (where you apply the IP address per ns1/ns2)
    Save
    2. Nameserver summary (the actual ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com)

3. origin1

origin1 Registered

WOW! thanks secret agent! go figure!

Just to confirm: I set up the domain host summary with ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com together with IP as provided by host.

Then Set up name server summary with ns1.hostdomain.com, ns2.hostdomain.com ?

I have set up private dns before, on the same godaddy account with success. I don't know why this is not working.

In any case, I am trying this right now. Thank you very much Secret Agent!

#3 origin1, Jun 17, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2005