The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GD, Easyapache

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by czerdrill, Feb 18, 2011.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill Well-Known Member

I need to enable GD and suhosin, and I understand this can be done through easyapache in WHM. My questions are is there any risk to doing this? This is a live site, running a forum which requires GD. Do I need to back anything up before doing this? Is there any risk that the site files will be corrupted? If something goes wrong how can I revert to the last working config?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello czerdrill,

There is a slight risk that Apache wouldn't start, which does happen very rarely. You can back up /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf file:

Code:
    cp /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf.bak110218
    Before running EasyApache on the server.

Next, we also keep archives of prior builds, which can be used to revert to the last good build before the current one if it fails. Normally, Apache will revert to that build if it fails anyway. You can find those builds in WHM > EasyApache (Apache Update) > [Archives/Backups] section or by running the following in root SSH:

Code:
    /scripts/easyapache --restore-archive
    I would suggest scheduling the recompile during off-peak hours for the server, then performing the update. If anything goes wrong, you can always open a ticket in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link provided in my signature.

As a final note, I would highly suggest adding TTF not just GD when enabling the GD option, since most times TTF (true type font) is also required for captcha images, which is likely what they want to add to their forum.

Thanks!

3. czerdrill

Thanks Tristan for the quick reply. Feel a little bit more confident about this after reading your reply. So there is no risk to the files in public_html? Sounds like it's a pretty safe process. And thanks on the TTF tip, will do!

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are very welcome. I'm glad to be of help.

For your question on public_html, EasyApache won't modify public_html content in any way, so there's no risk to that content being changed. If the build fails or some setting changes causes any issue for a site, then a site might begin showing errors in a browser and in /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log location, but enabling GD and TTF shouldn't cause any such errors.

Now, suHosin itself has been known to sometimes cause issues with some sites for memory limits, but you can disable suHosin if any issues happen afterward. Unlike GD and TTF that require a full Apache recompile using EasyApache, suHosin can be uninstalled by simply issuing this command:

Code:
    /scripts/phpextensionmgr uninstall PHPSuHosin
    To re-install suHosin if you want to later on (if you uninstalled it using the above), simply do the reverse:

Code:
    /scripts/phpextensionmgr install PHPSuHosin
    Btw, to see the list of PHP extensions you can install and uninstall using the /scripts/phpextensionmgr, you can run this command:

Code:
    /scripts/phpextensionmgr list
    Normally, it would return the following set of extensions:

Code:
    Available Extensions:
    EAccelerator
    IonCubeLoader
    Zendopt
    SourceGuardian
    PHPSuHosin

5. czerdrill

Excellent, learned something new! Appreciate your help!

6. czerdrill

Tristan,

I figure I'd give this a go with you, since you answer far quicker then my host! The error log shows:

'/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/: cannot read file data: Is a directory in Unknown on line 0

I assume this is some corruption in PHP and it just needs to be recompiled through EasyApache?

7. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please check the following:

Code:
    grep extension /usr/local/lib/php.ini
    If you have it return an empty value:

Code:
    extension = 
    Then comment out that line in /usr/local/lib/php.ini and restart Apache. It should stop the errors.

8. czerdrill

Thanks again, that seemed to be it!