The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gd - graphics library installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lewdog23, Oct 10, 2005.

1. lewdog23

lewdog23 Registered

I need to do some image manipulation for a site I'm developing, however I can't seem to get gd to install correctly. I've tried running the apache update through whm, but even though I click on gd to be installed it doesn't show up in phpinfo. I've also tried running /scripts/easyapache from the shell and the same thing happens. Even though I select for gd support to be enabled, when it rebuilds apache it doesn't enable it. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

2. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  3. lewdog23

lewdog23 Registered

OK, I ran /scripts/cleangd and still nothing. It seems to be a problem related to PHP 5.0.4 as when ran the easyapache script using option 4, it works fine. Although when I do this, the PHP version is 4.3.11 (I need ver 5 though). Does anyone have gd support working with PHP 5.x?

4. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You may try:

##Unninstall GD libraries
    rpm -e --justdb --nodeps gd gd-devel

##Install again using up2date
    up2date -ui gd gd-devel

Good luck.

5. lewdog23

lewdog23 Registered

I've decided to go with PHP 4.4 for now as this project is very time sensitive and I don't have all that much code using the PHP 5 features. I've reloaded PHP 4.4 and the gd library now works fine. Although the weird thing is, I still tried running the commands up above, just to see what would happen and it here is the output:
    Code:
    # rpm -e --justdb --nodeps gd gd-devel
    error: package gd is not installed
    error: package gd-devel is not installed
    As you can see, the packages aren't even installed (at least through RPM), yet it still works fine. Ideally I'd like to get gd working with PHP 5.x, but I don't have time right now to figure out how to do it. I'm thinking it has something to do with the gd library no longer being distributed with PHP 5, as it was with PHP 4. So far, I've stuck to compiling through the easyapache script to avoid doing the compiling myself as I'm still not completely comfortable with compiling directly from the source. Although I may have to become more comfortable doing this to get gd to work properly with PHP 5, along with the ability to move to the latest version of PHP (5.0.5) and gd (2.0.33), neither of which cPanel supports yet.

Thanks for your help. Also, if anyone has PHP 5.x and gd working together properly, I'd like to hear how it was done.