The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GD support in PHP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maniaczx, Feb 4, 2005.

1. maniaczx

maniaczx Member

On a newly installed server with RHEL 3 and the latest install script for cPanel the GD support was not enabled by default on the PHP install. It was origianl RHEL 3, none of the updated cd sets.

To make things interesting, when I do an rpm query on php it says version 4.3.2-8.ent is being used. However if I output phpinfo() through apache, it says that version 4.3.10 is running. It also shows the options that were given to the configure script and --with-gd was not used. I am assuming the version of PHP that is being run was installed by the cPanel script.

Any help on how to enable the GD support on this cPanel installation would be of great help.

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Rebuild Apache from WHM. There's an options for GD there.

3. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My understanding is there are 2 things in play here. The php version installed with Apache differs from the one that cPanel uses internally. If the latter then the php compile using "--with-gd" was recently added to newer cPanel versions. The /scripts/makecpphp is the one to check whether GD is enabled for WHM php.
    If I'm off base on your question then just disregard.

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like you have php installed via RPM, which is normal for a default ( bloated ) server install. Remove php, http, mod_ and the other 150+ rpm's you don't need, which really should be done before you even set the server into production. ( No point having microsoft office, counterstrike, etc. installed on a windows server used for web site hosting only right? ) Cpanel installs httpd and php from source and will not use the rpm files.

5. maniaczx

maniaczx Member

Infopro:
    The Software -> Update Apache with the GD option on seems to have taken care of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Haze:
    I agree with you on the packages, unfortunately it was installed with the Dell server cd that copies over and scripts the RedHat install. So the server is crammed full of all kinds of packages that need to be removed.

Thanks for the help.