The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generate a Public SSL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bladeru12, Apr 2, 2003.

1. bladeru12

bladeru12 Registered

Hello,

I need some help in SSL/TSL section.

It is my understanding that I can use a public SSL Cert. to secure web pages.

I generated a SSL public Key for host/client in the "Generate an SSL Certifcate and Signing Requested. I enter all the information as I was instructed in the WHM manual. Recieved a email with the key information.

I now see the key was install in the SSL Manager in the section KEYS

I even tried to install the new SSL Cert. I enter the host name i wanted to install the new SSL Key and see it knew the IP address and user name. I clicked on "Do it" got an error message:

"Sorry that is not a valid certificate"

So I assume ok I am good.

I enter in the PHP code to secure the check page using this url path example: https://www.domainName.com/check_out.php

I have used this method before with other service but never had to set it up my own SSL in Webhost manager.

Any Suggestion

And how secure is a Public SSL?

Thanks

David

ps I know I can get one from VeriSign and install it. But I want to know how to do a public key

2. bladeru12

bladeru12 Registered

I had figured it out.

Thanks

3. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

how about sharing the answer with others so we can all benefit from your knowlede

:D

4. bladeru12

bladeru12 Registered

Hello,

Here is the instruction in Generate an SSL Cert and Signing Request.

Select Generate an SSL Cert and Signing Request in your WHM. In your Cert Info make sure you put www.domainname.com and not domainname.com (you just need to put the www.. the maunal shows without). And also the manual shows you to abbreviate the state. You need to spell it out no abbreviation.

Then go your SSL Manger you should see the domain you entered in all three section. "Keys, CSRS and CRTS"

Then you are ready to install your csr and crt key information in the "Install an SSL Cert. and Setup the Domain"

That's it. I hope this helps.
    :D

David