The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gentoo and cpanel - Why have you failed us ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ali3nx, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ali3nx

ali3nx Member

Gentoo and cpanel - Making Progress! Gentoo Portage support. pg3 for details

I'm an avid supporter and administrator of Gentoo Linux servers in use in the datacenter and I would like to inquire about the current status of cpanel support for our great officially listed major linux distribution. I admin for a major hosting provider aswell and we have a 2.8 HT Pentium4 Redhat 9 hosting server with 570 users that is running a licenced cpanel installation but the server with cpanel running and 570 users has consistant loads over 17.00 :eek:
    we need this server to support 1200 users but thats not going to be realistic with cpanel and redhat

load average: 17.68, 17.84, 19.56
    load average: 17.56, 11.81, 10.89

We are serious that Gentoo Linux could improve these load averages by allowing us to install a server all from source with targeted cflag compiled binaries and ease of administration but cpanel has failed us with no support for a major linux distribution. If there is anything that myself or my team of developers could do to assist with testing or development of cpanel on Gentoo Linux I would be open to suggestions. I also think the developers of cpanel should take notice to the tens of thousands of Gentoo servers in use in the datacenter that can provide for extra market share and sales for cpanel. Redhat cannot hold the capacity of a Gentoo Linux server and we desparately need cpanel support on Gentoo Linux :confused:

#1 ali3nx, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  2. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

We have done some testing on it. It still is not production ready yet though. If you want install cPanel on a Gentoo machine, it will install fine (with no FrontPage). We however do not support it yet.

3. ali3nx

ali3nx Member

Idealy for gentoo the best course for setup would be to allow for use of mta's and apache installed by gentoo considering that gentoo's package manager is better equipped to handle security threats from glsa's. Also exim is a pig when it's installed without optimized binaries... really distressing seeing your mailsystem bring a quad xeon to it's knees.. You guys might just want to look into prepping a frontend and installer of some sorts that could utilize portage. Let gentoo handle the hard work ;)

#3 ali3nx, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  4. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Exim and MySQL will be built from portage. Apache will still be a custom install from source ala easyapache, but a technically capable user is certainly able to adjust the CFLAGS used to build it. It will still be installed in the normal cPanel fashion (/usr/local/apache).

If you don't need frontpage extensions, then you can begin using is now. The support is there (in the cPanel software). You could even set up frontpage using our rpm and rpm2targz. That shouldn't be difficult. Let us know if you are interested in testing it out.

5. ali3nx

ali3nx Member

just had a thought... considering that insecure apache installations are most accountable for security breaches in linux perhaps i could approach the gentoo apache maintainers about adding a cpanel use flag. This could appropriately install apache 1/2 for compatibility with cpanel via portage. If you would like my assistance with this I know the senior apache maintainer for gentoo linux.

6. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The biggest hurdle will be getting frontpage in portage along with the ability to patch apache for frontpage support (defined by a USE flag). I'd really like to see a cpanel USE flag anyways. That way if there were any compatibility changes for cpanel in any ebuilds, then the rules could be defined by that flag.

BTW, we had support in cPanel for Gentoo over a month ago. I guess it's not been a pressing issue because we've seen no demand for it.

7. ali3nx

ali3nx Member

I inquired with the official apache maintainers for gentoo linux and they had some concerns about cpanel. They requested that the cpanel developers join the project channel on freenode to inquire about cpanel+gentoo issues due to cpanel installations and security risks from cpanell breaking gentoo's baselayout. Your assistance would certainly be welcome and would alleviate any poor responses from cpanel creating breakage or security risks created by users installing cpanel in gentoo linux. irc.freenode.net #gentoo-apache

8. paradoxic

paradoxic Member
    PartnerNOC

The primary reason you haven't seen any demand for it is that it is an extremely hidden fact. I run gentoo on a few servers as well as a workstation I use and would love to see cpanel fully supporting it.

I didn't know that cpanel had support for it untill I poked around the /scripts/ directory, saw the words "gentoo" in a script then came back on these forums and searched for gentoo.

Why not update the frontpage and provide information on the development progress? Gentoo would be an excellent addition for cpanel, there is a huge and growing base of people who are choosing Gentoo as their primary Linux distro.

:D

9. MeddlePAL

MeddlePAL Member

I am also extremely dissapointed about not having cPanel for Gentoo. I operate multiple RHEL servers and would glady convert all of them over to Gentoo if only cPanel supported Gentoo.

10. ntwaddel

ntwaddel Well-Known Member

gentoo would sure be nice

11. paradoxic

paradoxic Member
    PartnerNOC

Hopefully people can keep expressing their opinion here! If you want gentoo, please make some noise people :)

12. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

We are not forgetting about you, I promise! There are still bugs with gentoo + cPanel that is keeping us from releasing it, but they are being squashed! As soon as it is ready it will be released.

13. DislexiK

DislexiK Registered

cPanelBilly,

So you are actually developing cPanel for Gentoo, if so I have a few questions.

Firstly, when’s the predicted time for release of cPanel for Gentoo

Will we have the ability to build cPanel from portage, and then acquire a licence like other lisenced software for Gentoo?

Will we still have the ability to build Apache, MySQL and other services through portage, or are we going to have to allow cPanel to do the work?

Thanks for your time

DislexiK

14. MeddlePAL

MeddlePAL Member

Hopefully if they make Cpanel for Gentoo they will make portage the native package managment system and will get rid of RPM.

15. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

When its done :)
    No, you will have to use the cPanel installer
    cPanel will build certain things from portage (most likely mysql named etc) and others by itself (apache php)

16. paradoxic

paradoxic Member
    PartnerNOC

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'd put more exclamation marks, but I don't want to annoy people)

This is huge :)

I will retract anything bad I have to say about cpanel now :)

17. gpreston

gpreston Well-Known Member

That's great. I've been waiting to see Gentoo support for the longest time now and will make the switch on my production servers as soon as its supported. Keep us informed please! :D

18. MeddlePAL

MeddlePAL Member

Yes please do keep us informed, I cant wait for this.

19. DislexiK

DislexiK Registered

Look forward to Gentoo cPanel :)

DislexiK

20. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

Hi All,

any news about gentoo support in cpanel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.