The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get high load, when WHM backup progress, even in 2am

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by basketmen, Jan 5, 2012.

1. basketmen

basketmen Well-Known Member

My dedicated server only used for one website, the disk usage in /home directory is 25Gb, where 5Gb is mysql database

In WHM > Configure Backup > I set 'Backup Status' to Enabled, with time Daily, Weekly, and Monthly

i already install plugins 'Configure cPanel Cron Times'a too, and set it in the most off peak time, 2am

but its still make the load become high, can be more than 10, sometime i cant open the website when the server load become high, when WHM backup progressing in the backend, but few minutes again the load is reduced and the website can opened again

please help how to reduce the load from backup progress, or slower the progress

In 'Backup SQL Databases', is it set 'Per Account Only' will be help, instead choosing 'Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory'?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you provide all the current settings you are using in WHM > Backup > Configure Backup area? A screen print would be great.

3. basketmen

basketmen Well-Known Member

ok then, here are the screenshot, please give suggestion

currently the backup are disabled for temporary, i am afraid getting high load again

/http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/basketmen/backupsettings.jpg

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you try changing to Incremental Backups option in that area and disabling compressed backups?

Next, please do change to "Per Account Only" for the MySQL backups.

Finally, if you would be willing to change to use the experimental hard link feature, which would reduce the time for backups by 2/3 due to the fact that weekly and monthly backups will no longer have to generate other than the hard links initially.

After making these changes, please move the prior backups and then run "/scripts/cpbackup --force" to generate the new ones. Since it will be a new copy for the initial run, if there is high load, you can expect it would be better on the next run (due to the incremental backups being used). Basically, this means to please wait until the second time the backups run to see the results for these changes.