The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get Mailbox lock error if check over two email accounts on same domain at same time..

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by BIGFOOT_PI, Feb 19, 2006.

1. BIGFOOT_PI

BIGFOOT_PI Member

I just moved my company's domain to a new server. Both the old and new servers were cPanel w/WHM.
    On the new server, if I check more than two email accounts on same domain at same time I get mailbox locked error "another mail client is using this mailbox"
    So apparently there is a mail setting on the new server that still needs set to allow more than two accounts on one domain to be email checked at the same time without a lock block.
    For example- I have 3 email addresses on the domain that I have set to be checked on startup in Netscape mail. If I tell any one of those 3 not to check on startup the error is gone, so thats how I determined was only a problem if check more than 2 accounts on same domain at same time.
    ANy help much appreciated.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's completely correct. the POP3 protocol only allows access to a POP account with one connection at a time. If you want to allow multiple account access then you need to use IMAP which is the protocol designed for that.

Either way, you're going to be better off migrating to maildir and courier-imap/pop3 since that deals much better with account locking.

3. BIGFOOT_PI

BIGFOOT_PI Member

I will look into that- thank you.

4. neo4242002

neo4242002 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I have seen lot of stories about migrating to maildir and courier-imap/pop3 all over the forum. But everything was making me confused.

A) Can some one tell me in clear English that how do I migrating to maildir and courier-imap/pop3?

B) What could get wrong by doing that

Hope someone out there to give me a light :D

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Converting is as simple as running:

/scripts/convert2maildir

And selecting the options you want from the small menu. Probably a good idea to do the backup option first.

You should ensure that the following runs cleanly, including the vendor OS update system (yum, up2date, etc):

/scripts/rpmup

If that goes through fine without errors in the output you should be fine. Oh, I do believe some old dead OS's (e.g. RH v7.3) are not supported - i.e. don't work, in maildir.

6. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

We converted our servers to maildir a few months ago. The conversion process was a smooth one, and that was the end of our mailbox locking problems. If I was you, neo4242002, I would just go for it ;)