The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get rid of excess DNS clutter in DNS zone of main domain

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by WebbieBE, Mar 15, 2014.

1. WebbieBE

WebbieBE Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi there,

I've been looking around / reading up on ways of trying to fix the following issue:

When I edit the DNS zone of my main domain I find all these records of domains that are no longer in use. And with a lot, I mean A LOT. Next to that there are also a lot duplicate A records of domains I'm still using.

As I'm currently entering a new phase of my webproject, I think it's time to clean this up. I've been deleted entries all day - but like this I can go on for another few days and not even be done.

So I was wondering; is there a way to have the DNS zone rebuild from only those domains that are still currently active / added as addon domain on my server? Or is there some way to have the excess clutter removed? I've seen scripts mentioned and other possible ways to get something similar done - but nothing conclusive.

I've actually just passed the fear of doing something wrong in my WHM panel - so I would definitely call myself a newbie in this. I could leave it all be; but then it's just going to get messier and messier over time.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,

2. LostNerd

LostNerd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I can see on your profile that you are a "Website Owner", not a "Root Administrator" so I will provide the end-user steps to do this...

-Login to cPanel
    -Hit "Advanced DNS Zone Editor"
    -Under "Reset Zone File", click "More"
    -Tick the box labelled "Are you sure you want to erase all entries and revert to the default state?"
    -Hit "Reset Zone File"

This should revert your DNS file to it's original state within cPanel leaving only what is required to make your domains work (including any DKIM keys or SPF records if these are activated).

EDIT:
    Make sure you take a backup before you continue.

#2 LostNerd, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  3. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

I strongly recommend a backup be taken before you continue. I'm sure you already have one, but I thought I'd mention that just in case.

4. LostNerd

LostNerd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thanks Peter. I completely forgot to mention that.