The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geting Started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jghogue, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jghogue

jghogue Registered

Greetings all!

I am an experienced software developer just getting started with web design. I am creating my first website that will offer products for sale and am learning my way around cpanel.

The available site builders are Site Builder & Templates, RV Site Builder, and SohoLaunch Site Builder. Under "Popular Choices", Fantastico and Joomla are listed.

Would anyone like to tackle a brief explanation of each and which software would be better for an e-commerce site? Opinions are welcome.

Thank you.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you going to be designing sites for people or provide hosting? When you mention products for sale, I'm trying to determine what precise market of products you would be providing. For example, Fanastico and Joomla are entirely different products. Fantastico is an installer for a slew of scripts for cPanel and requires that the user have cPanel on the machine. Joomla is a content management system that is just a basic script application. Fantastico actually has Joomla (and WordPress, and SMF, etc.) as one of the scripts available to install using it.

Basically, we would need to know the focus of your project, since you've given a broad range of applications.

3. jghogue

jghogue Registered

I have started a new company that sells health products. I want a web site and would like to design the site myself. The knowledge I gain from this will help expand my other company, a software consulting firm. Providing web-hosting is long term plans but not out of the question.

From my research, it seems that Joomla and Fantsatico are highly regarded products. Are these two third party products? A response to an earlier question indicated that RV Site Builder is a third party product, not owned by cPanel. If these products are offered in the cPanel from my web-host, does this mean my host has licensed the products and offers their customers free use? If I change web-hosts, will I be able to transport or import/export my web pages?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Joomla! and Fantastico are third-party products, and they have entirely different purposes. Joomla! is site software that you can install in a cPanel account to help you build a site. Fantastico is a product that provides an easy-to-use interface to install site software, including Joomla! and other products. Joomla! and Fantastico are intended for very different purposes.

Joomla!, Fantastico, and RVSiteBuilder are all third-party products that have no affiliation with cPanel. cPanel does provide some site software via a function called cPAddons. This gives you an easy way to install some third-party open-source site software systems. If enabled, these options will be listed under "Site Software" in cPanel.

Your host may provide other site software; we cannot speak to what hosts may choose to provide in their hosting packages or what licenses they may provide or may have agreed to. cPanel's backup system backs up the entire site, including the site content and database, so in theory, if you deploy a site using your host's site software offering, you should be able to back up and move your site to another host running cPanel. This will depend, however, if your host allows you to back up and download an archive of your site; some hosts disable this option.

Information for all of the software you have mentioned is available in the links below. Please note that these are all third-party products and cPanel, Inc. does not provide support for any of them. Joomla! is open-source, while Fantastico and RVSiteBuilder require licenses.

Joomla!
    https://netenberg.com/fantastico.php
    Website Builder for cPanel Hosting Provider - Perfect online sitebuilder - RVSiteBuilder :: Home