The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Fast Support for Cpanel - 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imagic, Apr 23, 2003.

?

Would you pay $19.95 - $49.95 for access to fast live cpanel support/troubleshooting?

1. yes

41 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. no

93 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

2. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

So, vote already!

Hey, how come there have been 30 views of this poll and only 6 people have voted?

Speak up people, it's an anonymous poll!

3. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

I should clarify this poll question. The $19.95 - $49.95 would be a monthly fee and it would also include an exhaustive searchable faq system that is added to daily.

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I voted :D

5. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

Thank you David!

Now we're up to 60 views and a whopping 12 votes. Am I gonna have to start knocking on doors? :)

6. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

hehe... 50/50 split now lol

7. masood

masood Well-Known Member

If I pay triple the amount because I host cpanel at a reliable data center, why should I pay even a cent for FAST LIVE support?

May be those down-the-drain data centers offering $14.96/month cpanel SHOULD pay something to get even basic ticket support.

My 2 cents :D

8. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

You're right, if your data center is handling support well for you, then you don't need to worry about it.

So can I ask you if they would fix a couple of issues we recently had with our server:

1) Our server kept going down and in addition the only client we have using osCommerce couldn't make his credit card processing work. We finally figured out that we needed to recompile apache with curl and this fixed it.

2) Clients can set up a second ftp username/password pair but when they try to ftp in with it, it doesn't work.

Is this the kind of thing your data center will figure out and fix for you?

And please let us know who they are.

Thanks!

9. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

My data center would fix those. They say if we have any problem with cpanel, we are to let them handle it. It's part of their service, and they have technicians who know what they are doing. My data center is VO. :D

I still voted that I would pay for extra support though, because VO does a great job of handling cpanel problems, but it's not their job to just answer questions about cpanel for my own learning. I would pay for the outside assistance because I would then be able to learn more. My goal is to learn so much about cpanel and servers that in time, I can handle pretty much anything that VO handles.

That's why my avatar said "technician in training" before, and now says "learning the ropes". I'm the type of person who wants to know everything about anything I enjoy, and running a server is fun. :D

I just wish I wasn't getting so old. I'm definately learning slower now than I once did. :rolleyes:

10. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

It's not a contest. An optimist would say that at least there are people willing to pay for support. Go get em!

11. techark

techark Well-Known Member

I voted no. As I said in the other thread I am already paying a nice monthly fee for cpanel on a bunch of servers. Why would I want to an addtional $50.00 a month for support fee. Support is supposed to be included in the price I am paying already.

If I have to pay adddtional money each month to get support it is time to get another control panel.

12. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

We're not talking about paying cpanel for support.

13. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

baileysemt,

I couldn't agree with you more! Which is exactly why there is a proposal on the table for a 3rd party company to offer cpanel support, a business who's revenue would be derived from giving support, not providing software.

You have made the case for why such a thing is needed and desirable. Want to change your vote? :)

14. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Everything in this post so far has made sense. And your right the only people that can truely support cPanel the best is the cPanel team themselves.

Especially since so much of cPanel is encoded, noone outside of cPanel can correct certain issues.

But there is another part as well.

What about all of things that cPanel gives that they say the don't support?

See this thread http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9269

That is a list of current things available from cPanel layer1 that are Unsupported by cPanel.

Just thoughts.

15. techark

techark Well-Known Member

Common sense would tell you not to use those and if you do, you are on your own as far as support goes..

16. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I also voted NO.

Having worked with Cpanel, on and off since v3.x in 2000, I have seen some things not change. Typos are still prevalent, explanations are skimpy, and some people seem to get better answers, to DarkOrb support questions, than others. Even though, in my mind, I pay a good buck every month to my DC -- who also say they provide Support for Cpanel -- I still find myself, sometimes getting 'knee-jerk reponses' to detailed information I provide on a problem and the problem is not solved. Two matters are still outstanding at this time and I've been told, they (the DC) cannot solve the problem and have to get an answer from DarkOrb; one is just under a week and one is around 2 months -- how long does it take?

Dont' get me wrong though, the DC I use is worth the money and WHM/Cpanel is my Control Panel of choice. It just bothers me when I do have a problem and nobody seems to know how-to fix it -- or even offer alternatives. That is one reason why I enjoy this Forum so much; answers can be gotten and sometimes pretty quick. As mentioned earlier in this thread, some questions are more of a "I want to learn how-to do this" rather than a "I have a problem" and should not, be submitted as a Support question -- to the DC or DarkOrb.

Awhile back, I made a proposal to DarkOrb for doing some Document Writing on the Manuals and bringing them uptodate -- no response. Manuals have been upgraded to v5 and it is hoped that v6 Manuals will not only be available soon, but that Documentation will always be current with the version being used. This is such a major importance, I fail to see why it cannot be done. Maybe it's just me though? :)

Although it is easy to perceive a lot of posts as complaints or derogatory statements towards DarkOrb, I think they are mostly from people who are frustrated. After having tried to troubleshoot themselves, with no luck, and even though documentation of the problem is provided -- to somebody who is supposed to be able to help -- no answers are given or, if they are, it's like the person responding didn't even read what was provided or understand the question.

I've made posts before, on how I am starting to understand why DarkOrb does not participate a lot in these Forums, as I too, am starting to see a lot of posts from people who will not take the time to work with WHM/Cpanel and understand how it works. There will always be those that think the Control Panel will do everything and, if it doesn't, then there is a 'bug' or 'problem' with the Control Panel. This will happen with any software and the more complicated (or feature rich) the software is, the more of these 'bug' or 'problem' type statements will be made. If DarkOrb started responding to those type questions, they could be perceived as providing training on how-to use WHM/Cpanel and that is not where they want to go.

What would be nice, IMHO, is to have Documentation that provides, not only a good writeup of the current features and a basic explanation of them, but also some clues to go by when one has to do some troubleshooting on their own. WHM/Cpanel will be around for a long time to come. The perceived value of the product and what people are willing to pay, "will be affected" by the help they get for serious problems -- not something they should already know or be able to do some trial & error for themselves -- from the people they are told or expect, to get help from.

And as to using features that are provided, not supported, one can use all the common sense they want, but if one is not aware of what is supported and what is not, common sense will not help. I have never received Documentation that describes what is supported and what is not and it's not up to me to search every page of 'cpanel.net' to find out. A page outlining 'feature support' and easy to use link for the page, would go a long way to answering many questions in that area.

Whomever sets up a Server using WHM/Cpanel for someone else to use, should also provide some information for that area, although, they too, should be building upon what 'they' receive from DarkOrb. My own experience has shown, the (currently) 7 page 'Welcome' eMail I send to new Hosting Clients, helps to not only cut down on Support time, it makes the new Client feel good -- correct and accurate information will always give a feeling of empowerment, and that feels great! They have all the information they need to get started (on their own) and even though, the information provided gives them many ways to get answers (again, mostly on their own), they can still get direct help (by eMailing Support) if/when they need it. This doesn't solve 'all' Support questions, only cuts down on the most frequently asked questions and helps Clients to understand, they need to try "whatever" for themselves and if still having a problem, document as much as they can and send it to Support -- which is me. ;)

We, who provide Hosting services, need to know & understand what 'We' are providing. As 'We' also, handle Support for our own Clients, 'We' start to expect a certain level of Support when 'We' need answers.

. . . wee, wee, wee, all the way home. :D

17. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

Mind sharing your welcome email :D

18. jsnape

jsnape Well-Known Member

I think CPanel.net should pay ME $50.00 if the support isn't quick. Which it isn't. I have two tickets about mailman being broken , one open for a month with no answer, one for a little over a week with no answer.

But my $600/mo + in licence fees is there on time every month (or else!)

How about just a discount if MailMan is broke on 2 of my servers for a month.

Yeah...I'm pissed about it. The exact same thing is happening on other peoples servers as well :

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5199&highlight=mailman+confirmation

#18 jsnape, Apr 28, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2003
  19. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

bump to top of forums

20. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

What for? I mean why do we pay for cpanel licenses if you have to reply on others to offer support for a company that cannot offer support but can take your money. Ridiculous. My vote is NO!