The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Fast Support for Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by imagic, Apr 18, 2003.

1. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

Hi,

I see a lot of posts in the forum about using the support form in the whm and not getting fast (or any) answers or problems posted that don't get any responses.

Does anybody offer really good, knowledgable and fast support for Cpanel? I'm willing to pay for this on a recurring monthly basis, but does it exist?

I've asked our NOC questions about Cpanel and it seems we are more knowledgable about it than they are even though we are just starting out.

I'm not looking to move to another NOC, I'm just looking for a source of non-denominational (so to speak :) technical support for Cpanel. And I'm not talking about support to our hosting clients, but to us as the hosting company.

Please let me know if you do this or know somebody who does.

If this isn't available, I have a question for all you hosting company Cpanel users. Would this be something of interest to you? If it existed, would you be willing to pay a monthly fee for it?
    Let me know, maybe we could start an offshoot business that could work very closely with Nick. Nick, any thoughts?

I think Cpanel is an awesome interface and application and I'd like to see it really flourish!

Thanks for your input.

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We offer payed support for cpanel hosts, hourly, flat fee and negotiable rates. We currently do this for about 8 different cpanel hosts

We work with each client to come to a suitable situation.

You can check us at
    http://www.dgbaker.com

3. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

:eek:

4. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    And what does that mean?

5. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm interested too, sexy_guy. What did that mean?

Do you know of someone who does cpanel support?

6. hostcp3

hostcp3 Well-Known Member

7. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

You know, that is an excellent idea. I have also run into time issues getting support. I don't really blame DarkOrb (I do blame my NOC though). I am sure there are many CPanel users who will be willing to pay for competent and TIMELY assistance with Cpanel.

Good idea!

8. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks bmcpanel;

We also do major stuff as well, for companies with server farms we can do the day-to-day support as well.

9. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

As long as you can deliver good and competent service, I think you may have a good little niche with the CPanel support thing. If I were you, I would be sure to advertise about it as this is the first I have heard of anyone supporting Cpanel outside of the NOCs and DarkOrb. I've bookmarked your URL just in case I ever need your assistance. :D

10. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I've bookmarked your site as well. It will be nice doing business with someone living so close. ;)

Where I lease my server, great cpanel support is included, but sometimes It's good to have an outside source of assistance.

11. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  12. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

To: squirrel
    Who did you lease your server from that is giving you great cpanel support?

To: dgbaker
    Hey, this is turning out to be quite a good thread for you in terms of getting potential new business. Do I get a commission? :)
    It looks like you're the only company doing this or at least the only one reading the forums (which in my book is paramount to being able to provide good support).

13. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

My :eek: was in response to support. I just didnt know you supported it. Great!

14. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We may be able to come to some sort of arrangement. :D

15. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    :)

I have not put together an "official" "we support cpanel" webpage yet. And currently I need to redo my main Consulting site.

Our support though is not just "cPanel" but it is helping with RH servers with cPanel loaded on them as well.

We do not try to say we know everything as well. What we do is also do the research searching many do not have time for or are not exactly sure what they are really looking for.

I am currently speaking with some of the people I do support for to get at least a few references if asked. :)

I will admit though that if response and requests become to be a huge amount we will be looking for support staff, and we would work with them to pay on a per case basis or such. Not sure on that part yet though.

Regards

David
    D.G. Baker Consulting.
    http://www.dgbaker.com

For support needs!

16. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great idea. Hope it works out for you David. Not that you'll be doing anything different, except for helping many more people that can't seem to get the support they deserve.

Many business stumble as they grow. If Nick truly is the only one doing all this, then shame on him. That just does not make sense.

Again, I like to point to vBulletin.com, where they created their bulletin board, supported it, made it semi-open, and created a team. As it grew, and more people wanted to help, they hired their customers. :) It is a great example of team work, and controlled growth.

Here, it is apparent the boards are here for "Customers help themselves".

If Nick can't keep up, then it's time to bite the bullet and hire some people.
    Hire one person to monitor the boards daily. This can be a low paying, almost intern job. They monitor and report back to Nick as to what issues seem to be coming up, and potential solutions. They also create a 'support presence', simply saying 'we know of it and working on it.

Hire another to write documentation. That's their only job. Create a full documentation for the current version, a massive job. Then, add weekly to the documentation any changes made.

See if you can get another programmer that can fix bugs, or research new features, etc.

Basically, an organized, 4 person team, two of them possibly part-time.

===Then.... important.
    Stop the crazy upgrade cycle. This is what is causing the nightmares. Ignore the nuts asking for the latest, greatest features. Make them wait. Keep your job simple by going at your own, stable, pace.

Your support headaches will be so much less if the upgrade cycle slows down and things actually work correctly before releasing.

And, once you have proven stability, and good, visible support, it is likely the customer base will expand quickly.

Or....... keep on the current path and watch as things slowly break apart.

Let go of ego, look around at other successful businesses, get assistance where needed and life gets better. :)

Brian

17. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it any better :)

18. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

First, SageBrian, Great Post! Thanks for your input. :)

Hey Nick, how about it? Please comment on your thoughts about this. I guess my main question to you would be:

NICK, do you think Cpanel offers enough knowledgable, timely support to its hundreds (thousands?) of users?

If your answer is yes, how do you explain all the posts asking for help and getting no response for days on end?

If your answer is no, what is your plan to improve the support? My feeling is that there are alot of people who love Cpanel and want to see it do even better than its already extraordinary success. Not to mention the impact that good support has on all of our hosting businesses.

I don't even see this as something that you have to give away for free. I see this as a revenue-generating idea for you. Offer something like premium support for $19.95-$49.95/month. This money would go toward creating updated documentation, responding to tech support questions, monitoring the forums, etc.

And if you don't want to personally hire people to do this, call on those of us who are willing to help you to manage it.

I don't think I can set up a poll in the forum, but I'd like to see the results of asking people if they would pay $19.95-$49.95 for this kind of support. I know I certainly would!

Nick, bdraco, please respond!

19. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Just to give you an idea, I have actually submitted my resume to Nick and Darkorb twice in the past 6 months offering to do work for them.

Once I submitted directly to Nick and he had said to check back in March. Well in March there was also a post in these forums asking for people to apply at which time I had applied again.

I hadn't heard anything so I suppose I was not chosen. Although no other mention of them hiring anyone was every mentioned since.

20. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

My server is with VO .

One example of their support was with an upgrade a while back. I ran a stable upgrade and suddenly subdomains stopped working on one of my accounts. I went to the VO helpdesk and asked them if I should be reporting it to them or cpanel. 15 minutes later it was fixed and they said as the cpanel provider it was their job to take care of things. A couple other times when a cpanel upgrade messed something, VO had it fixed within an hour at the most. No charge.