The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting new kernel to boot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madmac, Feb 19, 2004.

1. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I upgraded via the redhat network update to the 2.4.20-30.9 kernel they released for RH9 the other day. Only trouble is the server does not seem to be booting the 2.4.20-30.9 kernel.

I edited the lilo.conf file and set the new 2.4.20-30.9 kernel as the default one to boot. But the system is still booting the old 2.4.20-28.9 kernel. When I upgraded to the 2.4.20-28.9 kernel I did not have this problem and setting it as default in lilo.conf seemed to be all I had to do after upgrading.

Both cPanel and WHM report that I am still running the 2.4.20-28.9 kernel.

Are there any logs anywhere that might tell me why it is not using the new (and default) kernel? I checked out /var/log/boot but it did not contain any info about the kernel.

2. Dreamer

Dreamer Well-Known Member

lilo -v -v

After editing lilo, run once or two times then reboot.

However I updated it manually :)

3. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

yeah I did run lilo -v -v, however, I must have just been too tired at the time because when i ran it while more alert, I noticed there was an error in lilo.conf which kept it from updating. Got it sorted now. :)

4. Dreamer

Dreamer Well-Known Member

Glad to see all is ok.

For the record: The new kernel for RH9 works fine as usual. Everyone should upgdare... but you know this :)