The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Started Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by launchpad, Dec 18, 2014.

1. launchpad

launchpad Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Is there a guide or any sort of tutorials on how to get my VPS up and running.

I run a small design agency and want to start using my VPS for the websites I have. I am 100% new to this. I was under the impression that I could just log into my cpanel and start adding websites. The documentation is definitely written for people who know all about this stuff already.

I just have no clue how to start setting up websites. I actually don't need to set up individual cpanels, my clients won't be touching any of that. All I need is to start setting up databases, setup my ftp so I can start transferring my domains and websites over.. I am used to using the normal cpanel, this is just my first vps.

Thanks guys.

RScottyM likes this.
  2. markuswest

markuswest Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am also looking for something like a training course on cPanel & WHM, quick tutorials on YouTube doesn't give you the broad spectrum of know how. I figure since WHM is a program on a Linux distribution you need to know Linux pretty good.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's a good idea to create cPanel accounts for your clients because cPanel is what makes it easier to manage databases, FTP accounts, email accounts, and so forth. Could you elaborate on which particular part you are stuck on at this time?

Thank you.

RScottyM likes this.
  4. bulewold

bulewold Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to jump in, I'm looking for something similar. I'm looking particularly in WHM management. Cpanel is easy enough I think for the most part to manage things. But WHM has many different options that can easily make your server stop working properly with one click. I'm trying to figure out how to setup VPS to be more secure, for example changing ports I hear is a good option? And anything else we can/should do to make it more secure?

I managed to find two videos on youtube on this topic but one of them is from 2012 and the other is how to setup apache to be more secure... And when I did that (change few options to more secure option, aka pci recommended from default), my web server just stopped working... So, i guess these settings are only for server that's just starting up and not currently running.

Would love to find some sort of video or tutorial that explains in-depth setup & security.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Our documentation website is the best place to start:

cPanel/WHM Documentation

As far as security, while there's no replacement for a qualified system administrator, you could start by using the "Security Advisor" option in WHM to address some of the more common security issues with new servers.

Thank you.

6. bulewold

bulewold Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, I'll start there. On security advisor, it talks about jail something for apache. It recommends it to be on but on button is disabled / faded out. Do you know why?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That option is only available if Mod_Ruid2 is enabled on your server:

Mod_Ruid2

Thank you.

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

For the security questions, we have documentation on areas within WHM for security (the recommended security settings article):

http://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/Recommended+Security+Settings+Checklist

Also, for account creation, this is the documentation for the questions earlier about accounts:

http://documentation.cpanel.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=360659

Once an account is created, use that account to create the MySQL database(s) needed and for the FTP transfers. This was mentioned earlier, but the documentation exists on account creation and leads to other areas in our documentation that might be of help.

Thanks!

9. bulewold

bulewold Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Michael & Tristan,
    Thanks for the info. I did read into security checklist and made changes accordingly. But I've arrived at the last part about Apache configuration using profiles.

It's currently at MPM Prefork with Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.4.

It seems like there are new version out and to include Mod Ruid2 & Suhoshin as listed on checkilst, I need to rebuild profile.

Last time I tried to make any changes to global configuration in Apache settings, it stopped all web services at once. I'm assuming when I 'rebuild' or change settings, it resets web services?

Can you show me how I can backup/preserve all settings so that after i make changes you suggested, I can restore web settings/DNS settings to get the websites back up and running.

Also, if I do this, i should be going for apache 2.4 & php 5.5?
    Thanks for your help in advance!

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This should not happen. Feel free to open a support ticket so we can take a closer look and determine why it fails if it happens again. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

11. bulewold

bulewold Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually I figured out the issue. I wasn't aware that Ruid2 disables suPHP. I've been learning since I posted on this topic & also changed to a host that's a bit more willing to help with management of VPS.

So once I changed php to Ruid2 + DSO, it resolved the problem. :) It wasn't the global settings at all after all.

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator