The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting User Disconnects/Nameserver issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by pimmeloh, Jun 9, 2010.

1. pimmeloh

pimmeloh Registered

Hello,

I recently upgraded one of my servers at theplanet to a Xeon 5405 with 8 GB RAM and dual 500GB hard drives. The box is running Centos 5.5 with a stock 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5PAE kernel.

Other than the standard cPanel apps it is also running configserver firewall/lfd, ASSP Deluxe for cPanel and Munin.

We are having intermittent issues with users running TS3/Vent getting disconnected all at once. We're also, during these times, unable to query the nameserver on this box - which has caused some issues with site dns resolution with customers. Generally we are unable to ping the box when this happens. This issue has been going on for weeks; possibly even since the install but we were unaware of it at the time. The issue is intermittent and doesn't happen at a regular time, or at least so it appears. We haven't seen any network errors on the nic. The issue lasts 1 - 1.5 minutes then goes away.

The box is currently running EDGE 46217- which I upgraded to last night from current in attempt to resolve the above issue.

Theplanet's tech support has been looking into this, and have even run a new network cable in an attempt to determine what the problem is. We've disabled the firewall and still had the issues.

Any ideas, folks? This is starting to drive me nuts.

Thanks,

Terry

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am assuming so but did you look at the /var/log/messages when this happens?

you also could try setting up a screen and running a ping to the gateway and another ping going to google.com. See when the server goes "down" if those pings had any issues.

Also I just have to make a comment, you should really consider a 64bit OS for your server assuming you don't run anything super custom on it. It will NOT hurt this issue but there is no real reason not to anymore nowadays.

3. pimmeloh

pimmeloh Registered

Strangely enough, the ping issues are often seen within the theplanet DC - I get notice/warning mails about it and have brought it it to their attention. I've had multiple users pinging the servers and sometimes they time out to the server, other times there's some latency.

We aren't seeing anything in the logs, honestly. Nothing that would point at this issue, at least.

I agree with the OS suggestion. It was actually installed and had several accounts restored to it prior to us noticing that we had mis-ordered it.