The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigantic quota.user on cpanel systems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Jul 16, 2007.

  1. nyjimbo

    nyjimbo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2003
    Messages:
    1,125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    New York
    We are running Cpanel on several Freebsd boxes here. Today as I was just doing some looking around I noticed that the quota.user file is now suddenly huge.

    On our other non-cpanel boxes its a few hundred k to a couple of meg, but on our Cpanel boxes it is 2,225,934,944 bytes.

    Note that this is the SAME exact size on each of our cpanel servers, even though they are different versions of Freebsd (4.x, 5.x) but are running the most recent Stable cpanel.

    I am pretty sure this just happened in the past week or so as I didnt notice it at the start of the month.

    Anyone else ever see this sort of thing?. Why would they be so huge and the exact same size. The file sizes are not growing or fluctuating but the time stamps change as I imagine it is being updated.
     
  2. nyjimbo

    nyjimbo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2003
    Messages:
    1,125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    New York
    Ok, it gets weirder....

    I turned off quotas, renamed the quota.user to something else, ran quotacheck and it produced a "unexpected inconsistancy" seek error, invalid argument' naming the /dev/ad1s1g /home partiition and ended. However it did create a quota file the same size as ones on our non-cpanel box (about 290k). I turned quotas back on and ran fixquotas and it looks ok.

    The weird part is the '"unexpected inconsistancy" seek error, invalid argument ' , which looked EXACTLY like the output of a bad fsck run.

    I went to TWO of our non-cpanel boxes and did the same thing above (freebsd 6.2,5.4) and didn't get this problem.

    Next I went to a BRAND NEW cpanel 10 server we built the other day which has no customers on it yet. I did the above process and it also produced the same "unexpected inconsistancy" seek error, invalid argument which looked like a FSCK failure.

    However, as above, the quotas seem like they are fine. A reboot and full FSCK on either machine produces no error, but the "Checking Quotas..." produces that weird '"unexpected inconsistancy" seek error, invalid argument '

    This is very weird, why are we seeing what appears to be hard disk errors, but only on Cpanel boxes (freebsd 6.1, 5.4 ) but not on non-cpanel boxes (freebsd 4.8, 6.2)

    Is it possible that Cpanel has done something weird to some setup and the '"unexpected inconsistancy" seek error, invalid argument ' is not a REAL error but caused by some misconfiguration??
     
  3. nyjimbo

    nyjimbo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2003
    Messages:
    1,125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    New York
    Ok, found the fix (posting this because its bound to happen to someone else).

    It seems that if I do "quotaoff -av"

    remove the quota.user file from /home (rm quota.user)

    run "quotacheck -av"

    it will produce the normal output of building the new quota.user, print out inconsistancies AND MOST IMPORTANT show you the "unknown uid: " with the user id after it.

    That is where the problem lies. If you see a uid with a very high number (in my case 69560466) you have to either delete the files that are showing those weird very high uid or change the uid to something lower in a more normal range.

    So I "cd /home"
    then did a "ls -lnR > fileuids.txt"

    this produced ALL filenames and folders (this might take a very long time if you have a giant file system) to a text file with the userids instead of the usernames for each file.

    I then used "vi" editor to open and search for the uid (69560466) and then noted the names of files or folders, exited the editor and then in my case deleted them as they were created by Cpanel during the normal UPCP updates of the perl modules and stuff. This is why quota were only failing on my cpanel boxes and not my regular freebsd boxes.

    I next deleted quota.user again and re-ran "quotacheck -av" and it should show the same info as before but not the very high uid files. You might need to do this a couple times until you get them all, but you will have to delete quota.user before reruning "quotacheck -av" .

    After doing this and seeing the bad uids drop off from the quotacheck output I got a normal end of task on the program, no more '"unexpected inconsistancy" seek error, invalid argument' thing and was able to run quotaon -av. You can run /scripts/fixquotas again if you want to be sure about it all working.

    So no more 2gig quota.user and no more weird failure on quotacheck.

    Boy, I hope somebody else out there can use this info some day, it took me all night to get it done.
     
    #3 nyjimbo, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  4. KualoCraig

    KualoCraig Member
    PartnerNOC

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2002
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Reviving an old thread here, but just wanted to say thanks for the information - most useful!

    I just experienced this on a machine, and found that the "Archive-Tar-1.40" CPAN module compilations in /usr/home/.cpan/build/ were the culprit.

    You may find the following command easier to find the files with that UID, as it saves grepping or searching for that specific UID within the file that is output:

    cd /usr/home/; find . -user 69560466 > fileuids.txt
     
Loading...

Share This Page