macOS 12.3.1
cPanel & WHM Version
cPanel 94.0.24

Fabius

May 11, 2022
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I'm trying to push my local git repository to my cPanel server but it always says "Everything up-to-date", despite no/few files being listed as copied, and nothing appearing on the server.

• I've set up an empty Git Repository in cPanel, with a path like /home/username/git_repositories/my-repo-name (obviously, with the correct username and repo name)
  • I've checked that the ~/git-repositories/my-repo-name directory is there on the server.
  • I've set up SSH Access and can ssh to the server from my local computer.
  • I have an existing git repository on my computer. It's origin is a private GitHub repository, but I'm just trying to push from my computer to the cPanel server, not connect to the GitHub repository from cPanel
I've added a .cpanel.yml file to the root of my repository that currently looks like this:

Code:
---
deployment:
  tasks:
    - export DEPLOYPATH=/home/username/test/
I've done this on my computer (having copied the correct "ssh://..." path from cPanel instructions):

Code:
git remote add cpanel ssh://[email protected]/home/username/git_repositories/my-repo-name
git push cpanel main
But nothing appears in my /home/username/git_repositories/my-repo-name directory - shouldn't all the code appear there?

If I change a file, commit it, and push again then it says it pushes:

Code:
Enumerating objects: 9, done.
Counting objects: 100% (9/9), done.
Delta compression using up to 8 threads
Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
Writing objects: 100% (5/5), 436 bytes | 436.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 5 (delta 4), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
To ssh://[email protected]/home/username/git_repositories/my-repo-name
   8068ad7..d265b59  main -> main
But, still nothing appears on the server. What am I missing?

Fabius

May 11, 2022
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I've just now noticed that in cPanel, if I go to "Manage" the repository, there's a "Checked-Out Branch" field. If I select the "main" branch and click "Update" then my files all appear!

I don't see any mention of needing to do that in the cPanel documentation about Git.

Fabius

May 11, 2022
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I don't know to be honest. The Git documentation is several pages and I was having to jump back and forth between them, and various third-party blog posts, to try and figure out how to get anything working.

The "Checked-out Branch" bit is mentioned at the very end of Git™ Version Control | cPanel & WHM Documentation But then other pages like Guide to Git™ - Host Git Repositories on a cPanel Account | cPanel & WHM Documentation mention the Git Version Control page but then go on to only use the command line.

I was really lacking a simple step-by-step process for setting things up using cPanel, instead of the command line.