The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GIT + Redmine + CPanel = Possible? or no...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damainman, Mar 8, 2010.

1. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Quick Info:
    1. The dedicated server we are using is a remote server we don't have access to locally.

2. Me and my partners are located in different states and none of us have actually worked in a team environment or on a project that needed something like SVN or GIT.

3. We need a way that will allow us to collaborate on projects and keep track of eachothers work. Right now we just make changes to files via FTP and kind of alert other people by email or verbally. This as you can imagine is not only time consuming but very inefficient lol.

4. Software we are attempting to use:
    - GIT: Git - Fast Version Control System
    - Redmine: Redmine - Overview - Redmine

-----
    Greetings,

I have a CentOS dedicated server running the latest release version of CPanel. I'm new to group development so never used SVN and have been trying to have GIT and Redmine work nicely in CPanel that will allow me and my partners to connect to the remote server so we can collaborate on projects.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way but even my server management people are having issues getting this to work.

The purpose of this post is to atleast get me one step closer to finding out how to make this all work and resolve my current road blocks.

For a brief overview:
    1. GIT is installed on the server, and a GIT repository has been initiated in:
    - /home/mywebsite/public_html/git/tony/test.git

2. Redmine is installed on the server, but is unable to access the GIT repository files. Redmine is installed directly on the server as it seems because of the need of a Port number there is no other way to do this so the public URL is: tracker.mywebsite.com:3000

For example, I asked my server people this question:
    "Is it possible to set it up so I can access it via "tracker.mywebsite.com" and without needing to put in :3000 ?"

They replied with:
    As such I also found a tutorial on setting up GIT over HTTP, but it requires editing the httpd.conf file so it still related to the quote above.
    - http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/setup-git-server-over-http.txt

----------

Aside from the above, due to learning a new technology while working on several other projects at the same time over the past few months.. My brain is totally melting out my ears and I'm just extremely confused at this point. Everything I've been reading points to having GIT either installed locally or located locally on the network.

Essentially, I want to be able to utilize multiple repositories. As a script development company, we want to have a different repository for all of our different projects. As such we want to utilize GIT to access the multiple repositories, and use Redmine to manage all the projects.

I currently do not have the funds to utilize a service such as: Secure source code hosting and collaborative development - GitHub

However if I'm going about this all wrong, then I'm definitely open to suggestions or comments.

Thank you in advance for any type of suggestions or assistance you can provide. If my post seems confusing, it is because I myself am very confused.. but if you let me know, I'll try to edit it to make more sense.

2. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Sorry for bumping up an old post but I finally have time to go back at it for round 2 lol.

I'm able to get Redmine working and it's able to connect to the filesystem but can't find files via GIT.

Still very much interested if anyone has had any successful attempts at this.

Thank you in advance.