Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Give access to someone via SSH key

Discussion in 'Security' started by greektranslator, Nov 23, 2018.

1. greektranslator

greektranslator Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How do I setup server access for a third party via an SSH Key? Do I ask them for their public key? If yes, where do I put it and how? I already use one to log in (I have used SSH Password Authorization Tweak to disable root log in). I use CENTOS 7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 greektranslator, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  2. ronaldst

ronaldst Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the user in question got a cPanel account he can add his own key from the control panel.

It's also possible to give access to SSH directly from the web terminal function in cPanel (introduced a while ago).

If none of these options are viable, he would need to give you the public key for you to add to his account.

The public key is added to the file /home/username/.ssh/authorized_keys.

If setting this up manually you got to make sure file permission to .ssh directory (0700) and authorized_keys (0600) file is set correctly and owned by the user.

There is a lot of documentation to how set up and secure SSH on the internet. RedHat documentation is a good place to start if you are new and want to learn more.

#2 ronaldst, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    cPanelLauren likes this.
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks for providing that information @ronaldst!

@greektranslator please let us know if you have any further concerns/questions on this.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...