The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

give user root permission

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by khalled, Jun 1, 2011.

1. khalled

khalled Active Member

i wan to give one of account user a root permission through WHM panel

2. khalled

khalled Active Member

if any one can help

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you mean wheel group user access for SSH or root-level access to WHM?

4. khalled

khalled Active Member

root-level access to WHM

the problem exact what i face is when i upload compressed file to my normal account at the VPS server and go to extract it i get the following message "can't open the file access is denied " with some file within compressed file contents , and must enter by root account to extract all the files , so i want to give my normal account the permission to rewrite the existing file and extract or compressed file contents without get the above message

#4 khalled, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're uploading a file as root user, and then trying to extract with a normal cPanel user account in File Manager, is that correct?

If yes, the easy answer (and safer than giving a user root) is to upload the file as that normal cPanel user.

Even if you give that normal cPanel user Reseller permissions and full root access to WHM, they will not own that uploaded file either.

If I understand you correctly.

6. khalled

khalled Active Member

very thanks for quick reply
    that's right as you say
    but i try also to upload the compressed file as normal cPanel user and when try to extract it ,I get the same error message when the extracted files try to replace the existing files , so i forced to enter as root user to extract the file and after that change the group and owner of this new files from the root user to the normal cPanel user , and this take a loot of time and effort

also all my extracted files take the permission 555 for folders and 444 for files as default and i want permission to be 755 for folders and 644 for files to can easily replace it , can i do that and is that safe

thanks for your help

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When unpacking a file on the server unless you're sure you want to overwrite, unpacking to a temporary directory is safest for normal archived files you may be working with of course. But it doesn't sound like you are here.

Is this archived file a backup made from cPanel?

8. khalled

khalled Active Member

I run vbulletin discussion forum and when i want to update to the new version i need to replace the installed vbulletin old version files with the new one , and i face the above problem when try to do that and i own VPS server and have root access and normal cPanel account

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Try these steps and see how it goes.

**backup your forums files and database first**

Download vBulletin to desktp and unpack.

Assuming you have winzip installed, navigate into the directory in the unpacked vBulletin archive you downloaded to this directory: /upload/

While inside that directory highlight all files there, right click and choose add to: upload.zip. (upload.zip is the default folder name you're in.)

In a moment you'll see a new zip file appear at bottom of this list of files called upload.zip, copy that file to your server using File Manager. Place it in the same directory as your forum.

Once it's uploaded to your forums directory, in cPanel File Manager, click that zip file once to highlight, and then at top of FM window click Extract icon.

At this point all files should get overwritten and new files added, your old config.php should be safe and intact.

Next, open your browser and point it to the upgrade script and you're off to the races.

But, you might instead want to test that uploaded zip file first without touching your forums. OK, create a new folder via File Manager outside the public_html directory called workroom. Navigate into workroom/ upload that upload.zip we created above, and then extract it using the File Manager as mentioned.

Once it completes check your files and folders that extracted to be sure all is well. If yes, simply delete that extracted folder and move the original upload.zip out to the forums directory and go thru the above steps.

If you were uploading via an FTP client and having issues, using just the cPanel File Manager might get you past that for the moment to complete your task. Settings on some FTP clients if not setup correctly might change file somehow during upload.

10. khalled

khalled Active Member

very thanks for your help

that will be success because when i try to extract new files it extract very easy without any problems, the problem come from replacing the existing files with the new version , in this case i need to change permission of all old folder and files to 755 and 644 respectively to successes in replace it.

with reference to your suggestion it's very good but the problem that i have installed many files in the installed vBulletin so i need to search for this files again and insert it in the new vBulletin folder and i afraid that i may lost of this files

so i ask if i can give my normal cPanel account the same permission like root account so i can solve this problem

11. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You're saying the files and folders on the forum right now are set to 755 and 644, as in the server is running SuPHP I assume?

When you do the extract test into a test directory, did you check to see what perms the files and folders in the upload/ directory are once you extract?

This is actually less of a problem than you think it is. That is, unless you are editing core vBulletin system files, and if you are, I doubt more than one or two. I say that as theres no need to really ever touch core vB files these days.

Extracting over top of the files as described earlier, will overwrite vBulletin files, it won't touch mod files you've uploaded, (extracting that zip file) it won't delete or move any directories or files at all non vB.

You can surely give your user Shell access to login and run a command to change file perms, but you can't give the regular or w/shell access user, permission to change root owned files. You don't want those files own by root, you want the user to own them.

I'm sorry I can't help more than that, this isn't exactly a cPanel problem I don't think. You might try over at vBulletin forums for more help.

GL!

12. khalled

khalled Active Member

very thanks Infopro for you help

i think the problem is Cpanel problem i do the following as you request

1- create upload.tar.gz file

2- upload that file to the server using File Manager(normal cPanel account ). Place it in the new directory called forum 2

3- , in cPanel File Manager, click that tar.gz file once to highlight, and then at top of FM window click Extract icon.

what happen that some files extracted and get the following error message withe the others files

Cannot open: Permission denied

Cannot open: No such file or directory

13. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

This is incorrect. I suggested you created a zip file, even mentioned winzip above. ;)

At the bare minimum cPanel can extract a zip file easy enough. cPanel File Manager cannot open a tar.gz without some tweaks.

14. khalled

khalled Active Member

Very thanks , you are right when i change to .ZIP all the file extract successfully in the new directory called forum 2

but when i go to the original forum directory to extract upload.zip i can't overwrite and replace all the old folder and files because some of it have permission 555 for folder and 444 for files and get the following error message

cannot delete old folder name / files name

thanks again for your help and effort

15. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That forum is operating with those permissions? Very strange.

The two commands below, run one at a time will change any directory within the forum directory from 555 to 755 and any files 444 to 644.

Code:
    find /home/[I]username[/I]/public_html/forum -type d -perm 0555 -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    find /home/[I]username[/I]/public_html/forum -type f -perm 0444 -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    Change username to the cPanel account username and forum to whatever your forum directory is called.

You must be very careful running a command like this on that forum specific directory. Do not run this command for the entire account, you will run into problems if you do.

16. khalled

khalled Active Member

very very very Thanks for your help and effort

all things go good Know